Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Entry Page URL

Level 4

Hi Team,

I have implemented direct marketing channel segment and dimension I have used page URL but why paid URLs are coming in the dimension item. Please let me know the reason.

bindukumari1990_0-1630675865904.png

Thanks!!

Bindu Kumari

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

@bindukumari1990 - I don't know that we have enough information to accurately answer your question. 

I'll assume that you have a VISIT-based segment that says something like "Marketing Channel === Direct" and you're simply applying that segment to a Page URL report. If that's correct, I'll also assume that one of a couple of things is going on:

• Your visits include both Direct and Paid Search referrals, thereby allowing both to be included in the data set returned by your segment
  • The Page URLs in your report are accessible in a variety of ways and are not strictly Paid Search-related pages 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 8

@bindukumari1990 - I don't know that we have enough information to accurately answer your question. 

I'll assume that you have a VISIT-based segment that says something like "Marketing Channel === Direct" and you're simply applying that segment to a Page URL report. If that's correct, I'll also assume that one of a couple of things is going on:

• Your visits include both Direct and Paid Search referrals, thereby allowing both to be included in the data set returned by your segment
  • The Page URLs in your report are accessible in a variety of ways and are not strictly Paid Search-related pages 

@Brian_Johnson_ so, I have two questions regrading that i.e.

1) Is this expected behavior.

2) How we can exclude the paid search referrals from direct marketing channel.

What you mean by page URLs are accessible in variety ways, can you give some example.

@bindukumari1990 

1. If your segment is visit-based, and your only criteria is that the visit includes the "Direct" channel, then I'd say it is expected behavior. Remember, a segment only looks for exactly what you specify. If it's a visit-based segment, it's going to return everything about every visit that matches the specified criteria. So, if a visitor first comes to your website Direct, then via Paid Search during the same visit, BOTH channels will get credit for the visit. (Which channel gets credit for any conversion activity will depend on allocation settings, but both get credit for a visit.)
  2. To be 100% certain your segment only returns Direct visits, thereby excluding any visit where multiple channels are encountered (ie// the Direct > Paid Search example above), I would likely set up an exclusion segment. Keep it at the visit level, but switch the container to "excludes" and specify that "Channel DOES NOT EQUAL Direct". This segment will return only visits where the channel is Direct --- and only Direct. 

My comment about accessing URLs in a variety of ways was simply suggesting that perhaps visitors were either navigating directly to your PPC landing pages or had reached them through some path that was not PPC.

Again, I was making some assumptions. I don't think we have enough information to truly understand your issue. 

Level 4

Some clarification required ..  the report that you are looking at is an entry page URL report and the segment that you have applied is for direct marketing channel? 

@Brian_Johnson_  has convered the segment contianer part which would be my first guess as well however to validate this you can add the Enteries metric to the report that you are validate the first Page of the visit. 

Level 4

yes, it is entry page URL report and I have drop down the direct marketing channel dimension item in the segment section of the workspace.

Community Advisor

Dear bindukumari1990,

KIndly share the segment screengrab to take this further. Guess people didn't have the clarity on the segment you have created to advice you correctly.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics