Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Analytics Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

Bounces, Single Access and Single Page Visits

Level 1

I am hoping to get some clarification on the differences between Bounces, Single Access and Single Page Visits. I have read this article already (multiple times) and feel it is not clear enough, especially based on some of the data I am seeing for these metrics. https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/kb/en_US/analytics/kb/comparing-bounces-and-single-access...

Here's the situation:

• When looking at bounces and single access from Site Catalyst (15), we are seeing these numbers be the exact same. Based on the definition in the Adobe documentation, I would expect these numbers to be different. The same can be said for when pulling the same metrics from Ad Hoc Analysis with Count Repeat Instances set to YES.
    • When count repeat is set to NO, Bounces increase, which makes sense; however Single Access becomes almost equal to Entries (which is then saying every entry is a single access which is hard to believe).
  • Additionally, prior to Aug 28, 2015, every click on our site was using the "S.T()" function, but we updated our implementation to include S.TL() functions for clicks/actions that we were explicitly tracking (for example, we have a lot of pop ups on our product page, and under S.T each mouse over of those popups would cause a new page view to fire, but under S.TL a page view would not fire in that instance.)

So, here are our questions:

1. Why would Bounces and Single Access be the same exact numbers? Is anyone else seeing this? If this is expected, how could these numbers be the same based on the definitions?

2. What is the definition of Single Page visit? Our impression was you had only 1 page name variable in your visit but you may have had multiple page views of that one page. However, based on some of the data we're seeing, it seems that this metric is looking at the visits that just had one page view. If you go to another page, then you wouldn't be a "single page visit." When we switched to S.TL functions, this difference between this number and bounces increased significantly, which makes me believe it is really "visits with just 1 page view" since the S.TL would cut out additional page views.

Additionally, we have tried to visualize each of these metrics with certain scenarios (see attachment). They seem right to us, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help and feedback!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

This KB article was authored back when v15 and ad hoc used different processing platforms. With updates to how each product processes data, I would anticipate that you should be seeing identical or near-identical data between these two products.

Regarding your screenshot illustrating various scenarios, you are 100% correct in how those would be calculated and tracked. I will update this KB article to reflect how data is currently processed with examples on how they could potentially return differing data. Thank you for your feedback!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

This KB article was authored back when v15 and ad hoc used different processing platforms. With updates to how each product processes data, I would anticipate that you should be seeing identical or near-identical data between these two products.

Regarding your screenshot illustrating various scenarios, you are 100% correct in how those would be calculated and tracked. I will update this KB article to reflect how data is currently processed with examples on how they could potentially return differing data. Thank you for your feedback!

Level 1

Thanks!

When do you anticipate having the documentation updated?