Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!

Where can I find an Adobe Analytics UTM builder?

Level 2

I'm looking for an Adobe Analytics UTM builder (similar to the Google Analytics campaign builders) that will enable me to control naming conventions, store my UTM links built, and help me with insights. I've set up my classifications but too many people are writing links differently and it's creating a mess.

Is there a proven / available UTM form that I can use to deploy proper link-building operations across my company (something better than Google's URL builder which has no naming convention controls)? We've noticed that we're only tracking about 30% of our marketing spend effectively through Adobe Analytics and this is probably the biggest reason why (too many agencies, marketers, and vendors building links for GA when it should be Adobe structure).

4 Replies

Level 6

It doesnt matter which one you use, any will do. In the end they are all the same. You can use this one: https://www.utmtagbuilder.com/

Level 2

Unlike the previous answer, it matters if you're using Adobe Analytics. Unlike GA which can read Source, Medium, Campaign Name, Content, Term out of the box, Adobe needs to be configured in a number of ways. We need to map the s.campaign variable. Then determine your classifications, and finally, we need to establish classification rules to make Adobe read our UTM link. The question was whether you could do this automatically using a product or if you had to do it manually.

After reviewing a number of tools, we ended up selecting the UTM Smart Manager for Adobe Analytics. They were able to set up our classifications and rules through their APIs and services so quickly we were astounded. The best thing about the platform was in the data side though. They gave us exactly what we needed: actionable insights with KPIs like ROI, likes/ad, CTR per platform, etc...

We did try the manual route as well but ended up thinking it was not good for the long term maintenance. Here's a good article/guide on things to think about as you're configuring Adobe: https://medium.com/@factivateapp/the-complete-guide-to-using-utm-parameters-in-adobe-analytics-dfce8.... Because Adobe lets you configure your classifications, we went a step beyond the typical UTM parameters to help us long-term and came across this article as we were planning which classifications to use across all of our large Fortune 100 clients: https://medium.com/@factivateapp/top-5-adobe-analytics-classifications-for-campaign-urls-used-by-the...

Level 2

Here's a publicly available Adobe Analytics Campaign URL Builder offered by UTM Smart Manager. It's a good place to start but if you want better insights, control over your link taxonomy, adding more classifications, or even adding campaign alerts, consider upgrading.

Level 1

I've tried a bunch. The best one for me so far has been this Adobe CID Builder. This is publicly available and will build your campaign URLs with the cid variable. I like their naming conventions, restrictions on caps and spaces, and additional fields like campaign objective. I also like that they provide a pretty good explanation of their Adobe parameters. Just be sure that your Adobe system is structured to support that link structure. 
If you are not sure, I'd reach out to the company. I've sent them plenty of Fortune 500 customers (without getting any referral income:) and they even help them get set up and running from the Adobe side but you'd likely have to sign up for one of their plans. I'm attaching a quick screenshot of the builder. Hope this helps