Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

How to set up paid search and nature search using gclid?

Level 2

Hi everyone,

I am working on a project using the existing UTM parameter to set up marketing channels in Adobe Analytics.

The UTM code are like below

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 4.48.33 PM.png

I set up the marketing channels in AA admin console-marketing channel processing rules. However, looks like the the paid search and nature search channels don't pick up traffic (only less than 10% of PS and NS traffic, comparing with data in Google Analytics). Can anyone help me to figure out what went wrong? PS. I am using Adobe Launch as the tag system. Is there anything I need to set up in Launch?

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 4.52.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 4.53.12 PM.png

Thank you very much!

SC

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi siyanc97701441,

Update paid search detection in the report suite settings by adding "gclid=". This will make the Paid Search tracking accurate. Then update the Paid Search marketing channel processing rule by deleting the condition with tracking code.

Let me know if that helps.

Level 2

I did the change, but doubt if it will help. Since the AA data is only a couple hundreds visits for PS and NS, while GA are showing over 50K at the same time....

Level 10

Could you provide more details explaining why it does not look to be working? Have you conducted any testing that proved that Paid Search was not reported accurately after the report suite update?

Level 2

Yes. For the past weekend, AA only showing 26 visits to the PS channel, while GA is showing over 15,000 visits. And we are pretty sure that the total visits to the PS channel is close to what GA is showing.

Level 10

Do you have a page URL dimension in your implementation? if yes, build a segment with "gclid=" to check how many such visits were captured in AA. If you do not, export page URL with Visits via Data Warehouse to count traffic with "gclid=" in MS Excel.

This should give you an answer if visits with this parameter reach AA at all.

Employee Advisor

Were you able to figure this one out?

One thing you could try is to circumvent Adobe's paid search detection altogether and solely go off the query string parameters. The other thing I'd recommend would be to post your paid search detection rules here via screenshot so we can verify they're set up correctly.