Expand my Community achievements bar.

Getting the Best out of Adobe Summit: Tips and Tricks from Adobe Analytics Champions

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Getting the Most Out of Adobe Summit.png

If you are an Adobe Summit newbie like I am this year, planning for the Summit can be exciting BUT daunting. I asked my fellow Champions who had been to the Summit what tips they have for first-time attendees, and they delivered! Here are some things they wished they knew before attending their first Adobe Summit.

What to Add to Your Summit Schedule

If you are still trying to figure out what sessions to add, @MandyGeorge suggests prioritizing labs first. “Most sessions will be online after, (but) the labs won’t be.”
Some of this year’s Champions will be presenting at the Summit. @Katie_Klein will be presenting on the CX Revolution on Tuesday at 2:30 PM. Thursday is loaded with Adobe Analytics Champion content. @FrederikWerner kicks it off with a session to take your Adobe Analytics practice to another level at 9:30 AM. Mandy, @catherine_kum-seun@ShariLynnDeutsch, and @jeff_bloomer will be hanging out with @Justin-Swanson at 10:30 AM for the Experience Makers Spotlight. Mandy, @Jennifer_Dungan, and Katie will be among the Adobe Analytics Rockstars presenting at 1 PM to close out the Summit.

Frederik also recommends taking a break between sessions. You can either find a quiet spot to check emails or take some time to visit the Community Pavilion. Champions will be hanging out at the Smart Bar to answer any questions you might have about Adobe Analytics, and rumor has it that there will be puppies and kittens to pet on Thursday. There are also many opportunities to network during the Summit, including the Community Pavilion. Mandy highly recommends making a QR code for your LinkedIn account to store in your badge so folks can scan it to connect after the Summit.

What to Bring

So many people, including @Brad-Bedford, cannot recommend wearing comfortable shoes enough for Summit. You will be doing a lot of walking from and to your room, between sessions, around the Pavilion, and more so make sure you pack your favorite walking shoes.

Shari and Brad also suggested that you may want to bring a small humidifier for your room. They tend to be on the drier side, and a portable humidifier can help with your sleep. Shari also pointed out that if you plan to walk around the Pavilion and like swag, you may want to have some space in your luggage. I have a soft spot for free t-shirts and pens myself (just in case Pavilion folks are wondering..)

Refillable water bottles are a must. We've already covered that there will be a lot of walking, and Shari pointed out that there are water stations everywhere. 

That covers the tips and tricks I've gotten from my fellow Champions. For those who have been to Summit before, please share your tips in the comments. For those who are brand new to Summit this year, feel free to drop your questions as well. I look forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks!

14 Replies

Administrator

Look forward to seeing everyone at Summit! 

Community Advisor

Just an FYI, if you have a soft spot for stuffed animals, make sure you leave room for those as well.  They take up room quickly, especially if you end up getting more than one and decide you might bring back "a few" for some coworkers. 

Jeff Bloomer

This is so true! 

And I'll add, if there is specific swag you want, go on the first day to make sure you get it.

If you want a lot of swag (but it doesn't matter as much what it is), go on the last day in the afternoon. None of the partners running the booths want to lug back the extra swag, so you can get multiples of something to take back home and share.

Community Advisor

Also, if you have LinkedIn on your Phone, there is a QR code to your profile built right into the app... 

Click on the search bar, but instead of typing in someone's name, there is an icon on the right side that will bring up your QR code for people to scan.

Another note, but with a lot of people in the sessions, the air conditioning can be set really high. If you get chilly easily, you might want to considering bringing some extra layers with you, like a shawl or zip up hoodie. Something you can easily pull out of your bag to wrap yourself up with. 

Even outside the conference itself, while it is the end of March, Las Vegas is a desert and can get chilly in the evenings because the sand doesn't store the heat the same way, so make sure you are prepared for any temperature conditions.

Community Advisor

Here's something else that happens to a LOT of first-year Summit attendees.  You are going to be hit up by so many people to attend every little "after-party" you can probably think of, and sooner than you know it, you're out dancing until probably 1:00am in the morning and you've lost count of how many drinks you had.  Here's my advice - PACE YOURSELF!

Remember that you're here to attend sessions and network, but if you burn yourself out on the first day, the rest of Summit will probably a be a total blur, and trust me, it already goes really fast.

Beyond this, I HIGHLY recommend taking copious notes and accompany them with pictures and video whenever you can.  Like I said, things move quickly, and the more you can document what you have done, the easier it will be for you to remember it when you get back and your boss asks you, "So what did you do/learn at Adobe Summit?"

But in all of this, make sure you still have fun!

Jeff Bloomer

Employee Advisor

A few tips from someone that has delivered more than a couple presentations at Summit (and has only missed 1 Summit since 2010):

1. There's no need to take pictures of slides. You'll get access to all presented content via the Summit website when you get home.
  2. INSTEAD - take notes! I find that when I put things in my own words, rather than blurry pics of slides, it's much more impactful.
  3. Oh and speaking of all the things you've learned - there's no better way to guarantee that you'll get approved by your company's management to come back to Summit next year than if you consolidate all the millions of things that you've learned (see Tip #2) into an email to the teams that you work with sharing all of the announcements/tips/tricks/strategies that you discovered. Sharing is caring!
  4. Don't miss Sneaks! Wednesday Keynote before Bash. Shaq, me, 7 incredible future-facing demos, and you (with snacks and/or beverages). Be there or be square!

🥳 4 weeks til Summit! 🥳

Level 2

Yes, I should have clarified.  Don't take pictures of the slides.  Make your pictures and videos count.  I can't tell you how many people I've seen that are struggling to get picture of slides during the presentations rather than getting good notes during the presentation.  They record the sessions and make the presentation decks available afterward.

Community Advisor

One last thing - I know people have said this a couple of times, but just a reminder to people who are visiting Las Vegas for the first time, you are literally coming to the desert.  Not only will you be doing a lot more walking than you may be typically used to, but you may also be doing a LOT more talking.  Oftentimes it may be in large crowds and sometimes it may be against loud music, so conserve your voice.  This advice is coming from someone who is also a trained vocalist.

As a result, the most important advice I can give you related to both of these is this: make sure you drink plenty of water while you are at Summit.  In the busy-ness of things it is easy to forget, so make sure to drink a little extra water along the way or keep it with you to avoid becoming dehydrated.

Jeff Bloomer

Employee Advisor

EXCELLENT call. And for those of us not used to such a dry climate, I'm also a big fan of bringing quality hand cream. Cerave FTW!

This is a fantastic tip! Along those lines, if you're new to Vegas, do not touch, move, or even breathe near the minibar items in your rooms unless you're ready to pay extra costs. For those staying at the Venetian (or nearby), there are convenient store options that might be more cost-effective to get water and other essentials when you cannot access the water stations at the Summit.

Community Advisor

I second the hand cream, though if you are from Canada (particularly Ontario) I don't find it all that much drier than our typical winter.

Community Advisor

@kayawalton Thanks for putting this together. I already started wondering how the summit will be as I am a first timer to the adobe summit. This info really helps. Thanks you fellows for all your inputs as well. See you all at the summit.

Community Advisor

I can't believe I didn't mention this already:

BREATH MINTS!!

You will be talking to so many people - 'Nuff said!

Jeff Bloomer

Level 1

here some relative information

Attending Adobe Summit for the first time can indeed be a mix of excitement and uncertainty. Gathering insights from seasoned Adobe Analytics Champions who have navigated the Summit before can be invaluable. Their shared experiences and tips can provide newcomers with a roadmap to make the most out of this prestigious event. From optimizing session selections to networking effectively with industry peers, learning from those who have been there can help first-time attendees avoid common pitfalls and capitalize on unique opportunities. So, if you're gearing up for your inaugural Adobe Summit experience, take heed of these pro tips and embrace the chance to immerse yourself in learning, networking, and innovation