Expand my Community achievements bar.

Estimate/Budget Hours at Initiative Level

Level 1

I would like to be able to estimate hours/resources needed at a Portfolio and Initiative level--is anyone aware of how this can be done similar to the Resource Budgeting feature within Business Case of a Project? I am playing with Scenario, not sure this is the right application for when I am trying to do. Essentially I want to be able to create quarterly and even annual staff plans based on anticipated work. 

Thanks in advance for any tip, tricks and suggestions!

4 Replies

Level 1

To estimate hours/resources at the Portfolio and Initiative level, explore Project Portfolio Management (PPM) tools like Microsoft Project or Smartsheet. Utilize their resource management, budgeting, and scenario planning features to create quarterly and annual staff plans based on anticipated work. Efficient tools enhance precise estimation and planning.

Level 1

Thanks for those suggestions. I was hoping to keep it contained within WF as to then connect it and leverage it with other data/functionality. 

Level 1

When it comes to estimating hours and resources at a Portfolio and Initiative level, it's crucial to have a structured approach that goes beyond simple budgeting tools. One effective method I've found is to integrate scenario planning with resource allocation to create more accurate quarterly and annual staff plans. By simulating different scenarios, you can anticipate workload fluctuations and adjust your resources accordingly.

For example, while playing with scenario tools, consider how travel planning parallels this process. Just as you would meticulously plan a trip using insights and recommendations from MyFavouritePlaces.org Blog, you can apply a similar approach to resource management. This blog provides in-depth guides to various destinations, helping travelers anticipate the time and resources needed for their journeys. In the same way, by drawing on detailed scenario analysis and historical data, you can forecast the resources required for your initiatives.