Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Why do my subtasks show up in my primary task list

Level 2

This might be a really ridiculous question, but I am trying to create a project for myself that tracks all my daily tasks. However, when I create a task, and then click in on it and create a subtask, the subtask ends up in the same primary task list as it's parent. And when I click on the first task I created all subtasks are no longer there.

Am I doing this wrong, because I feel like this shouldn't be that difficult and feel this unwieldily.

Thank you,

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@MPH2 - when you apply filters, groupings, or sort things out of the normal task number sort the functionality changes a little. 

If you remove the sorting by status and instead sort by the task number your list should return to the parent/child structure.

KellieGardner_0-1715353730293.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Do you have it sorted, filtered, or grouped by anything that isn't the default? That will impact how your tasks display in a list. 

Do you have any screen shots you could share? It appears to be working as expected in my instance. 

Level 2

I have filtering set to unassigned, as they will not show if I leave the filtering set to the default. In the picture below, I have a project that I created from a template. What I highlighted should be the child tasks, as they are in the template this is generated from, but instead they are all parent tasks. And I am unable to change that for some reason.

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 10.00.02 AM.png

Level 2

I'm also noticing that unlike the Create Tasks tutorial, I have no add task button at the bottom of the list, only the New Task button at the top. It's like my entire setup for creating tasks is nothing at all like the tutorial.

This is the one I am talking about: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/workfront-learn/tutorials-workfront/manage-work/tasks/how...

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@MPH2 - when you apply filters, groupings, or sort things out of the normal task number sort the functionality changes a little. 

If you remove the sorting by status and instead sort by the task number your list should return to the parent/child structure.

KellieGardner_0-1715353730293.png

Level 2

Wow... That is super unintuitive. That fixed the issue, though. Thank you very much!

Community Advisor

Glad it worked. I figured that one out years ago when I was going through a similar scenario. Took some time to figure it out but now, it's the first place I look when people have issues with task lists.