Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Is it possible to associate more than one project per issue?

Level 7

It's not unusual for a request to come in that results in more than one project. How do we best reflect those relationships? Will the "Convert to"function work more than once? If so, will it carry custom form data for both resolving projects? Will those resolving projects both be reflected with the issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Lyndsy-Denk 

The "convert to" function will work more than once and will carry custom form data to multiple resolving projects. However, only the last project to be created will be linked to that issue.

You can resolve multiple issues with 1 project

But you can't have multiple projects resolving the same issue

We've insisted that if multiple projects are needed, multiple requests must be submitted. The relatively new copy/resubmit function for requests has alleviated a bit of the pain with that.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Lyndsy-Denk 

The "convert to" function will work more than once and will carry custom form data to multiple resolving projects. However, only the last project to be created will be linked to that issue.

You can resolve multiple issues with 1 project

But you can't have multiple projects resolving the same issue

We've insisted that if multiple projects are needed, multiple requests must be submitted. The relatively new copy/resubmit function for requests has alleviated a bit of the pain with that.

Level 7

That's super helpful, @Heather_Kulbacki. I'll advise folks to include a link to all resolving projects in the Updates feed.

Level 1

Hi there Heather

Please can you explain the logic of being allowed to convert a request more than once. Surely it would be preferable to limit this to only once, maintain the issue/request to project relationship and if a re-conversion needs to take place, the converted project is then deleted and conversion done again.

I was convinced that converting the same request more than once wasn't possible but alas have just tested it and of course... it is.

What's the methodology of why this is allowed?

rsvp

Kind regards

Ross

Level 2

Hi, I'm not clear on the "new copy/resubmit" function. We are exploring a pilot to use one request issue for multiple resolving projects. The idea is for the Stakeholder to submit a full campaign brief that multiple project managers will leverage for their specialized projects.

Level 1

Hi Heather

That's exactly my point - an issue should only have one linked converted project (otherwise chaos would ensue) so one issue equates to one converted/linked project. With that being the case, why then allow users to make multiple conversions (sometimes without realising) and then for there to be multiple projects, with only the latest one being the linked one. What makes this worse, is that there will likely be a linked project which has been worked on already and then a further conversion removes the link to an in-flight project.

Would it not be possible to limit the conversion process to once, or at the very least, warn the user that a conversion has already taken place (adding in a suitable paragraph about the consequences of doing it again.

Also.... I don't understand your comment about it being possible to have a single project resolve multiple issues - how does that work? A converted project will only ever reference one linked issue no? Why would there ever be a need for multiple issues to be linked to one project?

rsvp

Cheers

Ross