Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Identify specific fields to populate values based on dates

Level 10

Hi WF Fusion Community,

I'm looking for some guideance on how to utilize Fusion to accomplish the following revenue recognition requirement:

• Use automation to input an evenly distributed value within monthly-labelled fields
  • We created a new custom form at the Program level that contains fields labeled as follows: Jan YR 1, Feb YR 1, Mar YR 1, etc. (all the way to Dec YR 3).  That totals 36 fields (12 months over 3 years)

Example:

• Total retainer revenue is $24,000
  • The retainer dates run from Sept 1/2022 to August 31/2023 (12 months)
  • Have Fusion input $2,000 into each revenue recognition field for Sept YR 1 through Aug YR 2.

Additionally, if you have a better idea for the 36 monthly fields, because really, in the example above, it would input values into a YR 2 field (Aug), but it's really only a 1 year retainer, feel free to advise

I'm going to start working on brainstorming a solution, but feeling a little stuck with how to input values into each monthly rev rec field.

Thanks!
Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @NickVa1,

I can offer a couple of (non-Fusion) alternatives:

• If the data is already in Excel, if you do decide to set up "target" custom data parameters within Workfront, you could use our Excel Updater solution to load and/or periodically import it, while the folks currently maintaining that data could continue to do as usual until they're ready to make the jump to Workfront, as described in our Spiral Adoption post
  • Alternatively, and to the reporting point that @Jason_JB made, you might consider creating a Template with 12 (or 18, or 36, etc.) monthly tasks on them, each of which with a custom form on it that calculates their relative start date (e.g. "Monthly Payment Date") and their portion of some total amount stored at the Project (e.g. "Monthly Payment Amount"), and then inserting that Template as needed on each project to which it pertains. In this fashion, you can then filter, group, and chart off those fields in a Task report across multiple projects using Workfront's native (classic) reporting.

Regards,

Doug

TIP: if this solved your problem, I invite you to consider marking it as a Correct Answer to help others who might also find it of use

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 6

Hey Nick - 

Is the requirement to have the monthly split natively in Workfront?  We're doing something somewhat similar, but we capture the core data in Workfront - then the analysis is done with excel and/or tableau.

In the example above, are you sure you want it to be Yr 1, Yr 2, etc instead of fields for the month/year? I'd be concerned the data won't group as expected across projects for reporting.

Happy to share more on what we're doing in excel if that would be helpful.

Jason

Level 10

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the response.  

Our Finance dept. is doing this in Excel and Google Data Studio at present, so we're looking to take them from there and into WF.  

If I can get this data inputted into specific MM-YY custom fields - an even spread of a sum value of X months worth of fields - that would be ideal.

Cheers,
Nick

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @NickVa1,

I can offer a couple of (non-Fusion) alternatives:

• If the data is already in Excel, if you do decide to set up "target" custom data parameters within Workfront, you could use our Excel Updater solution to load and/or periodically import it, while the folks currently maintaining that data could continue to do as usual until they're ready to make the jump to Workfront, as described in our Spiral Adoption post
  • Alternatively, and to the reporting point that @Jason_JB made, you might consider creating a Template with 12 (or 18, or 36, etc.) monthly tasks on them, each of which with a custom form on it that calculates their relative start date (e.g. "Monthly Payment Date") and their portion of some total amount stored at the Project (e.g. "Monthly Payment Amount"), and then inserting that Template as needed on each project to which it pertains. In this fashion, you can then filter, group, and chart off those fields in a Task report across multiple projects using Workfront's native (classic) reporting.

Regards,

Doug

TIP: if this solved your problem, I invite you to consider marking it as a Correct Answer to help others who might also find it of use

Level 10

Nice...thanks, Doug.  I'm going to dig into option 2 a little more.  I'll let you know how it turns out.