Expand my Community achievements bar.

How does Adjusting User Work time impact Project Schedule

Level 1

Hi everyone,

Does a user's Worktime need to match the schedule? For instance, if we operate with a 40hr week schedule, does user's work time need to be set to 1?

If we change our worktime to .75 to account for shrinkage (meetings and etc.) what else would need to be changed in the system to ensure projects aren't negatively impacted?

Thank you!

4 Replies

Level 3

Hello @mvsteep 

I think its difficult to say what the impact across your instance would be.

From my experience it can affect time frames on tasks and projects etc. 

What I would do is test it in preview and see what the changes impact. Hopefully not to much and the you can sort production out. 

Good luck

Level 10

There is a project setting that says something like "Do not let user time off affect project timeline" or something like that. I would keep that checked.

I would then assign a critical path task to a person that has their FTE and Work Time set to 1, then screenshot the timeline. Then change their FTE to something drastic like .2 and see if the timeline changes. Then set their work time to something drastic like .2 and see if that affects the timeline.

Maybe after doing that, you could report the results back here so everyone can benefit from that knowledge.

Community Advisor

Work time doesn't impact project schedule as far as I can tell, nor is it supposed to. Read the link below to see if it helps:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/manage-resources/the-workload-balancer/assig... 

The way I think of it is, work time helps me in the resource management area by showing me how over/under a specific assignee is. I can use it to see that the user was assigned to 20 hours of work this week, but that they are still under water because their work time was set to 0.25 so they are really only available for 10 hours. But it doesn't change the project schedule to make sure the user can fulfill the task.