Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!
SOLVED

Have your planned durations now become random decimal points?

Level 8

This happened to me once before and it wreaked havoc for months: Yesterday we had projects with task durations often set to nice, round numbers (ex. 10 days, 0.5 days). Today we have existing projects and templates with assorted decimal values: .88, 4.38, etc. Before I submit a ticket to support, has anyone else had this happen? Were you able to resolve it without having to manually update everything?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Support figured out what happened: I messed with the Timeline Calculations setting in the Setup area. When you change these values, it affects the Planned Durations and Planned Hours across projects and templates. This is expected behavior, but documentation about the consequences is tough to find, so I created an idea that Workfront can design the system to alert admins to the consequences: Document and flag effects of Timeline Calculations... - Adobe Experience League Community - 611774.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 2

Task durations change like this for me if the assignee has an out of office entered into WF during the duration time.

I haven't ever had it change within a project template.

Level 8

Yeah, this is a rather universal change, from what I see: all tasks in all projects.

Community Advisor

I'm not sure what you have tried to resolve it, so it's difficult to give useful advice. For example, have you tried switching to a different view and back? Have you tried removing the duration column, saving the view and re-adding the column? Have you tried rebuilding the view again?

I'm also reminded of this old post (only happened on parent tasks so might not apply to you).

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/workfront-questions/parent-task-duration-showing-in...

Is it possible to show a screenshot?

Level 8

I haven't tried much. The last time this happened I just...dealt with it. To be fair, it was early in my sys admin experience.

The article you shared doesn't seem to apply. These durations are not too far off from what they used to be.

Check out the screenshot attached of a project template.

Community Advisor

thanks. The screenshot was helpful. I feel as though this is working pretty much as it always has. If you feel differently I advise you send in a ticket.

Other than this, it sounds like what you are asking for is something more along these lines:

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/workfront-questions/need-text-mode-help-with-roundi...

So for your specific example, it would look something like this:

descriptionkey=duration
durationunitfield=durationUnit.value
listsort=intAsInt(durationMinutes)
namekey=duration
querysort=durationMinutes
section=0
shortview=true
stretch=0
textmode=true
valueexpression=CONCAT(ROUND(({durationMinutes}/60)/8,1)," Days")
valuefield=durationMinutes
valueformat=compound
viewalias=duration
width=80

Level 8

I'll submit a ticket. One day the planned durations were generally in neat, round numbers and then next day they weren't—and I can't figure out if or what I might've touched that would universally change planned durations.

Correct answer by
Level 8

Support figured out what happened: I messed with the Timeline Calculations setting in the Setup area. When you change these values, it affects the Planned Durations and Planned Hours across projects and templates. This is expected behavior, but documentation about the consequences is tough to find, so I created an idea that Workfront can design the system to alert admins to the consequences: Document and flag effects of Timeline Calculations... - Adobe Experience League Community - 611774.