Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Group notification options on Request Queue

Level 3

This may be a unique situation I have, but I’m looking for a way to notify user groups when the status of an issue in a request queue gets changed. In other words, I need one group to get notified when the request comes in “New” but then I need another Group to get notified when the status gets changed to say “In Review”.

Is this something that could be done or do I need to think of another way about this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Funny enough this is exactly what I have in place now but we still have some forgetting to check the report. I knew this might be a unique scenario and it does make me feel a bit better knowing that I have tried everything I can think and it still not an easy fix.

Exploring the approval route may be the only way around this unfortunately. @Madalyn_Destafney It seems we are definitely on the same wavelength so let me know if you think of anything else.

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Community Advisor

Are you requiring an approval or rejection from these groups or is it just for visibility? You could implement issue approvals, so when a new issue comes in, it goes to X group for approval, and then if approved goes to Y group, etc. 

If you don't want it to be an approval in this way, you could ensure these groups have appropriate notifications on to receive a notification of a new request in a project 'they're on' or 'they own' as well as when the status of an issue changes of a project they're on/own.

Is this answering your question? If so, please mark correct to help others : )

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 3

Hey @Madalyn_Destafney , Thanks for the reply.
Was trying to avoid the approvals at this time because there would be some change management needed since we aren't currently using those but it's definitely something I'm looking into for future state though. I was hoping of more of a quick solution that would not actually change process for anyone, just simply notify.

For your second suggestion, I would need one group to only be notified with one specific status change not all. So using my previous example, this would be fine for the initial group but not for the secondary group needing the notification only at the "In Review" status. I hope that is making sense.

Community Advisor

Hmmm, thinking. Difficult scenario. This isn’t an instant notification that you’re looking for, but what if you have a journal entry report specific for each group that pulls when these specific issues are changed to the specific status. Can show when changed and by whom. They’d have to check the report daily or you could set up a cadence to have the reports sent to the respective groups…

Correct answer by
Level 3

Funny enough this is exactly what I have in place now but we still have some forgetting to check the report. I knew this might be a unique scenario and it does make me feel a bit better knowing that I have tried everything I can think and it still not an easy fix.

Exploring the approval route may be the only way around this unfortunately. @Madalyn_Destafney It seems we are definitely on the same wavelength so let me know if you think of anything else.

Thanks

Community Advisor

I don’t have WF in front of me right now but is this something you could create a custom event notification for?

Level 3

Hey @Madalyn_Destafney,
Sorry for the delayed response. I looked into this briefly to see if there was anything that stuck out to me but I wasn't able to find anything. Are you saying there is a way to create a notification for a custom event? If that is the case that could be the solve if the parameters are there to meet. I just don't need notifications on every status change, only to certain ones. That seems to be the tie up that I'm seeing.

Community Advisor

Hi, sorry for the late reply as I've been abroad the past couple weeks! I was incorrect, you can't make an event for something this specific natively in an email notification, but you probably could if you have Fusion...

Level 10

Hi @nskid66,

Coming from another angle...perhaps rather than notifications, it's time to consider leveraging dashboards, which would persistently show all of the data that is in a particular status so that the interested users can then take the appropriate action, as per this Switchback Workflow blog post. 

Regards,

Doug

Hey @Doug_Den_Hoed__AtAppStore ,
Thanks for the advice. We are currently using dashboards that do exactly what you mention but we are finding people are forgetting to check them or they are not in Workfront all day, everyday to see those drop in on a dashboard so I was hoping for a notification to help remind them that there is something in a status that they should now be aware of.