Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Editable text cell in report

Level 1
Hi All - is it possible to have a column in an assignment report (or task or issue report while I'm asking) that has a blank column where anyone can edit and type in text? Hoping to have an "notes" column where others can type freely any commentary or updates. Thank you! Morgan Morgan Ridlehuber SS&E
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 6
Hello Morgan, All you need to do is create a custom field. I created one for task notes, and project notes. Once you add the custom field, add it to the reports. Tim Brooks Invicro

Level 1
Makes sense - I do have a couple of questions: Will that new custom field show up in the custom form when people submit a request? I am only wanting workers to edit this field from within reports if possible. Also, will I need to add it into any custom form that may pull into these reports? Thank you! Morgan Ridlehuber Spurs Sports & Entertainment

Level 6
What you could do is create a separate custom form to house any of these fields, and add the field on the reports, but not in the request queue. I do not believe you would need to add to multiple custom forms. Tim Brooks Invicro

Level 1
I will give this a try - thank you! Morgan Ridlehuber Spurs Sports & Entertainment

Level 6
We recently looked into this so I thought I'd share our findings in case it's helpful! :) Tim is correct, you can create a new custom form for these kind of internal notes and use the field as a column in your report. While creating the form, be sure to go to Form Sharing and select what users/groups/teams/roles/companies you want to see the text field. This way you can actually slip it into the request queue if needed (for example, if you needed this editable text field on a request/issue report) and the requesters won't see it. We do that for a lot of our internal forms. Even if you don't need to attach it to a request queue, you can still restrict the permissions based on your organizational needs. One important thing to note is that you have to match up your form type with the object you're attaching it to. So if you want to make a note on an Assignment report, you would probably need to use a User custom form (and a Task form for Task reports, etc). I don't remember if we had to add the "isInlineEditable=true" line to the text mode to let us type directly into the report, but if it doesn't let you do it automatically, that will do the trick. One limitation we found with this is that it's difficult to keep a history of changes made to the field. You can kind of get around this by making sure the field is tracked in the Updates stream, however. It's not the best for record keeping, but it'll do in a pinch. And depending on your use case, it may not even matter! I hope that helps! Maddy Martin