Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Browser Wars

Level 10

Sheesh.

Remember when Browser Wars were between browsers, not within browsers….?

This morning, after a long chase, we at last tackled and trussed a Chrome goose, in which:

• only certain users were consistently receiving an SSL PROTOCOL error, and
  • after trying MANY other potential causes, we
  • de-installed Chrome, including browser history, then
  • reinstalled Chrome, which fixed the problem

Acknowledging the old "turn it off and on" anecdote, though...what we then realized was that the old version of Chrome we de-installed was the 32-Bit version (under c:\Program Files (x86)...), and the new version of Chrome we installed was the 64-Bit version (under c:\Program Files...). Going forward, as a best practice, I'll be recommending the latter wherever possible, which can be easily confirmed by navigating to chrome://settings/help, clicking the About button (bottom left), and then observing whether it says (32 Bit) or (64 Bit)

Doug_Den_Hoed__AtAppStore_1-1693938590652.png

So! For those of you who often find yourself having to clear cache, use incognito, or thump the side of your computer (etc.), I decided to share this little gem, in the hope it might help spare some chasing.

Regards,

Doug

Doug_Den_Hoed__AtAppStore_0-1693937954241.png

5 Replies

Community Advisor

We have a lot of users that complain about latency issues, now I'm wondering if this could be a reason. I think we all have 32 not 64.... hmmm.

Could be Kellie,

If you end up experimenting with some 64-bit upgrades, I'd be interested to hear how you make out.

And for you Mac Users, here's some Not Great extra steps you might also need...  

SOURCE: https://macpaw.com/how-to/remove-chrome-from-mac

1) Quit Chrome

2) Move Chrome to trash

3) Empty Trash

4) Navigate to Chrome Application files  ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome

5) Move all the files from the "Chrome" sub directory to the trash.

6) Empty Trash

7) Download / Reinstall Chrome

Regards,

Doug

For M1, M2 and Silicon chip Mac owners: These newer Macs won't evn run 32 bit apps so no checking or updating necessary.

Community Advisor

Interesting! We’ve had to clear our cache seemingly more frequently over the past 6mos or so, I wonder if it’s the chrome version. So had WF been made aware of this? Will they be looking into it so both Chrome versions are running smoothly?

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Community Advisor

Turns out I have 64bit and I still have to clear cache often...

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )