Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Approaches to Column Widths and Varying Screen Sizes?

Level 10
I feel like I've been fighting this for too long without asking... A side-effect of the way we work is a demand for "at a glance" reports that are fairly information-dense so that users do not have to flip-around to multiple, more specific, reports to get information. The problem is that if I leave some of these reports to the system-automated column widths, certain key information (to us) ends-up too narrow and causing super-long vertical rows. So of course this means I end-up playing with column widths. Which then means I pretty much have to apply column widths to all columns because once you do one, the rest really get kinda crazy. For the most part this has worked because while all Planners have laptops, they have large 2560x1440 displays at their desks; a byproduct of needing to view PDFs for packaging mechanicals. However, I only just realized today that some of the reports completely break-down on the native laptop screens (1920x1080) when they are away from their desks: quite a few of the smaller columns completely collapse down to their smallest size, which means the data in those columns is not viewable. So...am I missing any tricks? Is there a way to do column widths by percentage instead of by fixed pixels? Is there a way to customize reports and views that are a little more small window friendly? (When I personally have this issue I build different views I append with "concise" but I don't think having multiple versions of Planner views is going to work.)
6 Replies

Level 10
An old man in a dark robe shuffles back from the box laden storeroom clutching an ancient package to the front desk, blows the dust from the top, sets aside the lid, nods slowly as he peers inside, then flicks his gaze above his half-moon spectacles at his guest, and with a smile and a wink, points to the contents and whispers... @Kevin Quosig , back in the day, to prevent such columns from becoming too skinny, we'd edit the view, click the column, switch to the Advanced Options tab then set its Custom Column Label to Something_With_Underscores_To_Force_The_Column_To_Be_Wide. Perhaps you can do the same. Regards, Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 6
I recently asked Support about this, and unfortunately you can't size based on % of space. If you force the width of one column via text mode, the following columns will lose their "content aware auto-sizing" so you have to manually set every following column after that if you want the report to look a certain way. They did tell me the reports are built to have a max width of 1500 px, for what that's worth. I'm going to post on the idea exchange soon and ask for WF to either A) fix their "content aware" sizing (because it's not actually content aware right now) or B) allow us to use percentages when manually setting column widths. I'll circle back and post that link in this thread once I've submitted it. :) Maddy Martin

Level 10
Doug: Your little opener had me laughing; always been a big sci-fi/fantasy nerd so the visuals were great. Not sure about the tip, the collapsing columns" I mentioned are literally collapsing to literally half a character wide already despite having at least one word of the title 6+ characters long. Do the underscores really force some other behavior? Maddy: If you put up an Idea Exchange, be sure to generate some traffic by posting the link to this thread: Idea Exchange Promotion " Kevin Quosig

Level 6
Thanks @Kevin Quosig I've posted the idea and added it to that thread. Here's a direct link to the idea if you'd like to give it a vote. :) https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000XhvjAAC/detail Maddy Martin

Level 5
We have similar reports. I try to use shared columns to get the most information in one column as possible so you don't have to fit so many across the screen. Kristy Musgrove Havertys

Level 10
Hi Kevin, Glad you liked my scene setting; it was actually pretty dang fun to write up. As for the tip...well, what can I say: it used to work, but as with a number of other new features (SHOUTY COLUMN CAPTIONS, I'M LOOKIN' AT YOU!), the latest NWE-preparatory grids are Different, so your mileage may vary. Regards, Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore