Expand my Community achievements bar.

Registration for the AEM Guides User conference on 24th and 25th March 2024 is open.

Would like the ability to import and export MD content

Level 2

We would like to have a single location (AEM) for our content. We want to author in DITA and then export/convert the DITA to markdown for use in our GitHub documentation. Also, we would like to import some of our markdown docs into AEM and convert them to DITA so that we no longer need to manage the content in two source systems and use two different markup languages.

9 Replies

Employee

Hi,

XML documentation uses DITA-OT internally to generate the different output. DITA-OT allows the markdown files generation from source dita content and it also lets the author use the raw markdown files for publishing. Please refer below for more details:

1. Generating Markdown files from the source DITA files
    1. DITA-OT provides three variety of markdown files
  1.       Standard Markdown
  2.       GitHub-Flavored Markdown Files
  •       GitHub-Flavored Markdown Files with summary.md file

More details can be referred here - https://www.dita-ot.org/dev/topics/dita2markdown.html

All the above markdown files types are supported by DITA-OT and can be generated from the XML Documentation Solution by using the relevant transtype. Example – To generate GitHub-Flavored Markdown files, use the markdown_github transtype on the output-preset.

Kiran_Mohan_0-1615898211493.png

1. Using Markdown down files for generating output
    1. There is a provision to use the markdown files with the maps and generate the PDF/pre-processed DITA/HTML5 output. There would two things required:

Then you can generate any supported output format e.g. PDF or dita (for normalized dita)

If you need more details OR wanted to discuss your specific use case then please reach out to TechCommSales@adobe.com for a quick demo.

Thanks & Regards,

Kiran Mohan

Level 2

Thanks Kiran. The problem is when I upload an MD file to AEM, it is not recognized. AEM does not seem to understand what type of file it is.

Employee

That is okay. But you should still be able to add that to your map.( Additional information - The authoring of the markdown file in the AEM system is in our roadmap)

If you drag/drop the markdown file into map from xml editor then it will automatically add format attribute also. Do let me know if you want a short demonstration of this.

Thanks & Regards,

Kiran Mohan

Level 1

Hi! Has the work to enable authoring of markdown in AEM been completed? And if so, do you have any resources or docs to share about it? Thanks!

Hi @timelincoln7648 Please refer to the "Author Markdown documents from the Web Editor" section in the User Guide documentation.

I've created an MD in AEM, but cannot edit it using the instructions in the User Guide referred to in your previous post.  Also, when I added it to my ditamap filled with dita files, the output would not generated to HTML.

Employee

@robertk30941538 which version of AEM Guides are you on? and are you using DITA-OT to generate HTML output for ditamap having dita and md references?

Level 2

We are at 4.2.1 and use dita-ot. I also tried to generate to PDF and had the same problem. 

Here is the error when I try to generate the ditamap containing md files: /mnt/crx/author/crx-quickstart/profiles/ditaot--93d6baca-a244-edfd-d446-a9a497f567fc/DITA-OT/build.xml:31: [DOTA001F][FATAL] "markdown_github" is not a recognized transformation type. Supported transformation types are bcmhtml5, bcmpdf, bcpdf, ca)bcpdf, ca_bcpdf, eclipsehelp, html5, htmlhelp, javahelp, msd_bcpdf, pdf, pdf2, sym_bcpdf, tocjs, troff, xhtml.