Expand my Community achievements bar.

Registration for the AEM Guides User conference on 24th and 25th March 2024 is open.
SOLVED

Pasting Data from Excel into a Table (not Simple Table)

Level 5

Copying and pasting content from Excel results in a <simpletable> instead of a <table>, and there doesn't seem to be a way to convert it from a simple table after it is in the DITA file.

Has anyone figured out a way around this? I need a table title and I'm not going to retype a large table manually.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

@sschnelbach Guides editor copying and pasting can create <simpletable> or <table>. It depends on the source contents. If you have complex features like merging cells in excel, it will be converted to <table>.

<simpletable> is the default option for the table, but you can always rename it to <table> and add the title afterwards. You can either use the Author view breadcrumbs right-click menu or outline panel right-click menu <Rename Element> option to rename the <simpletable> to <table>
Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 11.19.03 AM.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

@sschnelbach Guides editor copying and pasting can create <simpletable> or <table>. It depends on the source contents. If you have complex features like merging cells in excel, it will be converted to <table>.

<simpletable> is the default option for the table, but you can always rename it to <table> and add the title afterwards. You can either use the Author view breadcrumbs right-click menu or outline panel right-click menu <Rename Element> option to rename the <simpletable> to <table>
Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 11.19.03 AM.png

Level 5

Yes, renaming the element did convert the <simpletable> to a <table>. And I did notice for the <simpletable> where I had to merge cells, the table automatically converted to a <table> for me.

A big thanks to GunjakK for including the screenshot. It was unclear that "Author view breadcrumbs right-click" meant select the element, then right-click. 

The more I use the Web editor, the more I actually like it, except for its problems with drag/drop from within a table cell and that you cannot easily combine paragraphs by deleting an ending or beginning <p> tag.

Please consider this question answered. Thank you.