Expand my Community achievements bar.

Does Edge Delivery Services support a multisite deployments?

Level 1

Hello!

I'm generally new to EDS and I'm considering the general architecture and how things need to be set up for an enterprise-level deployment.  It doesn't appear, at least at first glance, that a GitHub repo set up to operate an EDS site is designed to function in a multisite deployment configuration.  That is, running sites that have different designs and functionality, and different block requirements from a single EDS repo in a way that is scalable to many sites on different hostname (either completely different domains or domain alias).

I've searched for any documentation but haven't found it.  I'm not looking for a way to hack an EDS deployment into submission, I want to know if EDS is designed to support this kind of deployment or not.

Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Community Advisor

HI @BSDevil 

I feel the same that EDS does not support multisite setup but here are my 2 cents, maybe I am missing more context here:

In the context of comparing Adobe Edge Delivery Services (EDS) with AEM, it's worth noting that while EDS integrated with GitHub directly may not support multisite deployment, AEM faces similar limitations.

In AEM, a Cloud Manager pipeline typically supports a single repository, and you generally have one AEM instance for authoring. With the help of Dispatcher, you can configure multiple sites to fetch AEM content in a specific manner.

Similarly, with EDS, you can achieve multisite deployment using a CDN. 

Arun Patidar

Level 1

Hi @arunpatidar, thanks for the response!

My company has been using AEM (on-prem, self-hosted) for over a decade (we started back in the CQ days) but we've decided to move to AEM Cloud and EDS is part of that ecosystem (we're not evaluating, the contract is already signed). We have begun some work EDS but I'm unclear how multiple more-or-less distinct sites with different author groups, different block requirements, different workflow needs (I understand EDS doesn't support workflows itself) can be hosted inside one EDS instance without that instance eventually becoming a terrible mess.  What happens if it scales to 10 sites, or 50, or 100?  I guess I'm trying to understand where an EDS use-case falls down in favor of a more traditional AEM implementation.  Thanks!

Community Advisor

Hi @BSDevil 

Regarding scalability and traffic handling, the infrastructure is indeed scalable since it's on the cloud. While using AEM as a content authoring system, all the core concepts for Authoring of AEM remain applicable. However, it's important to note that managing another codebase for author deployment, such as ACL and workflows, is required using the Cloud Manager pipeline.

There are certain limitations with EDS, as EDS is not a replacement of traditional AEM but a static site generator in a way:

1. EDS may not fully support some AEM use cases. For example, server-side business logic is no longer supported, and you need to implement all business logic on the client side using JavaScript.
  2. There's no support for Sling servlets/APIs.
  3. etc etc.

I would recommend reaching out to Adobe on their Slack channel with specific use cases, as they are very helpful in providing guidance and support.

We are also in the process of migrating from AEM to EDS, and with collaboration from Adobe Tech, we are proceeding further.

Arun Patidar

Community Advisor

@BSDevil I would recommend to have individual EDS github repo per site or maintain one branch per site and maintain its own blocks and code.. basically treat fstab.yaml file single source of entry..