Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for an upcoming in-person Adobe Target Skill Builders event ~~> We're hosting these live learning opportunities to equip you with the knowledge and skills to leverage Target successfully. Learn more to see if we'll be coming to a city near you!
SOLVED

Prioritizing activities that overlap in audience and page

Level 3

Hello, I'm new to Adobe Target, so this may be a basic question.

If I have multiple activities set up to deliver content on the same page to the same audience, can I control when a user sees one activity as opposed to another?

For example, say I have activity 1 and activity 2 with overlapping audiences that deliver content to the same page. Can I set a rule that says that if a user has never visited the page before he will see activity 1? After the visitor sees activity 1 three times, then he will see activity 2 going forward?

Assuming this is possible, does this go against best practices? Should collisions be avoided as a general rule?

Thanks,

Keith

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Can I set a rule that says that if a user has never visited the page before he will see activity 1?

Yes, there is a "new visitor" attribute you can use to create an audience to apply to "activity 1" that limits it only to new visitors

> After the visitor sees activity 1 three times, then he will see activity 2 going forward?

Yes - use profile scripts to keep track

You can use the priorities to determine which experience will be shown to a visitor in the case that a visitor qualifies for 2 different Activities.

Here's the documentation - https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/activities/priority.html?lang=en

Consider this carefully when designing your testing and personalization strategy. 

1. Avoid having multiple activities with same success metric or conversions on the same page - you'll cannibalize the traffic and confuse your results. Therefore, run them synchronously as much as possible.

2. If you must run multiple activities on the same page, you can use profile scripts / attributes to randomly place people into different "buckets" so that they do not overlap.

Definitely nuanced and particular to your testing/personalization strategy, so seek further advice from your consulting expert!

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee

Can I set a rule that says that if a user has never visited the page before he will see activity 1?

Yes, there is a "new visitor" attribute you can use to create an audience to apply to "activity 1" that limits it only to new visitors

> After the visitor sees activity 1 three times, then he will see activity 2 going forward?

Yes - use profile scripts to keep track

You can use the priorities to determine which experience will be shown to a visitor in the case that a visitor qualifies for 2 different Activities.

Here's the documentation - https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/activities/priority.html?lang=en

Consider this carefully when designing your testing and personalization strategy. 

1. Avoid having multiple activities with same success metric or conversions on the same page - you'll cannibalize the traffic and confuse your results. Therefore, run them synchronously as much as possible.

2. If you must run multiple activities on the same page, you can use profile scripts / attributes to randomly place people into different "buckets" so that they do not overlap.

Definitely nuanced and particular to your testing/personalization strategy, so seek further advice from your consulting expert!