Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for an upcoming in-person Adobe Target Skill Builders event ~~> We're hosting these live learning opportunities to equip you with the knowledge and skills to leverage Target successfully. Learn more to see if we'll be coming to a city near you!
SOLVED

How can update/create visitor profile parameters using webSDK sendEvent on page

Level 1

Hello, 

I have a quick question. I wonder if it is possible to update existing visitor profiles or create new ones using the sendEvent command from alloy (no tag manager available). 

I know that on page load in the first sendEvent command you can pass profile Params to target inside the data.__adobe.. property but I don’t know if I can pass new params during the runtime of the page for example when a user do something within an activity for example clicking the add to cart button. 

also would be great to know if that works not only for existing profile params passed in the first sendEvent on page load but also to new ones I come up along the way.

thank you all a lot!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Are you aware of any issues where the profile attributes aren't making it to Target?  I've been testing client-side alloy calls to update/create a Target attribute but they aren't appearing in Target.  It's been over a day now

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 4

Hi @PedroJi1 

My understanding is that any profile parameters passed under the xdm schema data.__adobe.target (as you mentioned above) behave the same way as if they were sent via at.js.

• If the profile parameter key exists it's value will be updated to the new value
  • If the profile parameter key doesn't exist it would be created.

You just need to call an alloy sendEvent each time you want to pass any profile parameter to Target.

One call-out is if you also have the same "data stream" for Adobe Analytics you might want to beware of sending duplicate hits for the same page.

alloy("sendEvent", {
  "data": {
    "__adobe": {
      "target": {
        "profile.gender": "male",
        "user.categoryId": "clothing"
      }
    }
  }
});

Reference Docos:
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/platform-learn/migrate-target-to-websdk/send-parameters 

Correct answer by
Level 2

Are you aware of any issues where the profile attributes aren't making it to Target?  I've been testing client-side alloy calls to update/create a Target attribute but they aren't appearing in Target.  It's been over a day now

Level 4

Hi @deecsilva - 2 things I would validate next are:

1. Have you been able to get experiences returned from an mbox via alloy?

2. Use the Experience Platform Debugger Extension to make sure everything is working as expected on the back end.
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/platform-learn/migrate-target-to-websdk/debugging