Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for an upcoming in-person Adobe Target Skill Builders event ~~> We're hosting these live learning opportunities to equip you with the knowledge and skills to leverage Target successfully. Learn more to see if we'll be coming to a city near you!

☕[AT Community Q&A Coffee Break] WEDNESDAY 5/24/23, 8am PT: Answers to Your post- Target @ Adobe SUMMIT 2023 Questions, from Ryan Roberts, Gentry Lin, and Ryan Pizzuto of the Adobe Target Consulting Team ☕

Administrator

Join us for the next Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break 

taking place Wednesday, May 24th, 2023 @ 8am PT - 9am PT 

We'll be joined by Ryan Roberts (aka @Ryan_Roberts_), Gentry Lin (aka @GentryLin), and Ryan Pizzuto (aka @ryan_pizzuto)

of the Adobe Target Consulting team, and Mihnea Docea (@MihneaD) of the Adobe Technical Support Engineering team, who will all be signed in here to the Adobe Target Community to chat directly with you on this thread about your Adobe Target questions related to:

Any and all of your Questions related to Target @ Adobe Summit 2023! *Feel free to review any of the on-demand Adobe Target Summit Session recordings in advance to bring your follow-up Questions to this chat on 5/24

REGISTER HERE!

PARTICIPATING IS EASY:

• Sign in to the Community, Reply to this thread with your questions related to the Adobe Target topics covered 
  • Stand-by during the hour as the experts weigh in ~ this way you can clarify your question or ask for more details directly 
  • THAT'S IT!  *(think of this as the Adobe Target Community equivalent of an AMA, (“Ask Me Anything”), and bring your best speed-typing game) 

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Click the blue “Reply” button at the bottom right corner of this post
  • Begin your Question with our hosts' Community Usernames: @Ryan_Roberts_, @GentryLin@ryan_pizzuto, and @MihneaD
  • Something already coming to mind? Feel free to post your topic-related questions in advance, to ensure our experts get a chance to weigh in on your question while they're signed in for the hour 

REGISTER TODAY

ryan roberts.png

Ryan Roberts, Principal Consultant, Adobe

Ryan runs pre-sales proof-of-concept engagements for clients across North America as an implementation and testing expert who helps clients verify how Adobe Target can meet their requirements and boost their digital marketing optimization efforts.

gentry lin.jpeg

Gentry Lin, Principal Consultant, Adobe

Gentry is an Adobe Senior Solutions Consultant specializing in Adobe Target. She has extensive practice in Target client-side implementation, including single page applications. Coming from a background in Adobe Audience Manager and Adobe Analytics, Gentry is deeply versed in how Target's integrations within the Adobe Experience Platform can power personalization, activation, insights, and optimization. She loves to talk with customers about how Target's dynamic targeting capabilities can help customers develop their personalization programs.ryan pizzuto.jpeg

Ryan Pizzuto Senior Consultant, Adobe

Ryan Pizzuto is a Senior Expert Solutions Consultant focused on Adobe Target. He has been working in the optimization space for 15 years, both on the client side building an optimization practice from the ground up and recently consulting some of Adobe’s largest, most complex customers helping them maximize value from Adobe Target. He is passionate about optimization and personalization and evangelizing the possibilities with Adobe Target.

Curious about what an Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break looks like? Be sure to check out the thread from our latest 4/12/23 Adobe Target Coffee Break  with Adobe Senior Consultants Matthew Bailie @MBailie and Georgia Frailey @Georgia_CA , with support from @simochen of the Adobe Technical Support Engineering team

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

58 Replies

Level 4

Or more directly - are we free to make the Category field in the Recommendations Product collection whatever we want it to be?

Employee Advisor

@davidl55903031,

The out-of-the-box purpose is to capture the categories to which the product belongs. However, no mechanism validates if these are actual categories or not. So it would be possible to use it in any manner you see fit as long as you keep in mind new values will be appended to the list and will not overwrite old values.

Mihnea Docea "Committed to Excellence" | Technical Support Engineer | Adobe | 1 (800) 685-2950 #3 #2 #3 | docea@adobe.com

Level 4

So if I set up a Feed to periodically import our Product classifications, if the classifications for a particular product (catalog #, Key in the classifications template) change, it will not overwrite the existing data? 

Example:
on the first import, the Feed gets this data:

Product ClassificationTarget Collection FieldExample
Keyid123456
Product NamenameOld Product Name

next week, we change the name in the classifications, and the Feed gets this data

Product ClassificationTarget Collection FieldExample
Keyid123456
Product NamenameNew Product Name

Won't we see the New Product Name in the Target collection?

Employee Advisor

@davidl55903031,

Yes, that would update to the new value. All other variables work like that. The only one which appends is the "categoryId" This is why I called it out so it wouldn't take you by surprise.

Mihnea Docea  "Committed to Excellence" |  Technical Support Engineer  |  Adobe  |  1 (800) 685-2950 #3 #2 #3 |  docea@adobe.com

Level 4

Ah, sorry, should have read the doc you linked first - it's just the (multi-valued) category values that append. This is great, then we can use both the affinity category (not sure how to get that into the Feed though) and ones from our product classifications.

Level 2

Hi All,

I have implemented Adobe Target on Web SDK. In we are firing Adobe Target at the library top with the event type "web.webinteractions.linkClicks" and Analytics with the event type as "web.webpagedetails.pageViews". Is this the ideal way? If yes then we are seeing unspecified value for eVars as linkClick call fires before the pageView call.

Why can we combine the target call with the analytics page view call? What are the Pros and Cons for both cases?

Employee

Hi again! Thanks for providing the screenshot. You certainly can combine the rules, and in general that's how you could approach rules that don't have special considerations. I have a few questions:

1. To confirm, are you using the "library load (page top)" as the event for both sendEvent rules?
  2. In what way is the XDM object data element in the Target rule different from the XDM object data element in the Analytics rule?
  3. Can you give me an example of what you're trying to pass in with the data property (where you have "Target global parameters (Web SDK)" in the Target rule? Based on the name, I'm assuming page parameters, but you should be able to capture those with an XDM object data element using the "web.webPageDetails" field.

More info on Target XDM field mappings here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-platform/sources/connectors/adobe-applications/ma...

Level 2

Following are the comments to your questions.

1. For Target it's "Library Load" and for Analytics it's "Window Loaded".
  2. Target XDM has WebInteractions configured and where as Analytics XDM webPageDetails and custom eVars and Props.
  3. I'm passing entity parameters in data property via custom code.

Employee Advisor

@IrshadNetEffect

Thanks for sharing the extra details. There can be valid use cases where you would want the Analytics captured data to come later on page load, like if certain data elements aren't available at the top of the page. In those cases, doing two separate calls like you have can make sense. Unless you've customized it not to, that will end up sending two calls to AA. One with the library loaded sendEvent (without evars/props) and one with the window loaded. Just something to be aware of with your setup.

However, if all the data you pass in the evars/props is available at the library loaded time I would recommend consolidating those calls and XDM objects. In which case I'd make my library load sendEvent my web.webpagedetails.pageViews eventType and then drop the web.webinteraction attributes (they are likely just redundant with the web.webpagedetails attributes).

Hope that helps!

Level 1

Is Adobe working on a solution to enable Adobe Target activities to be pushed to Iphone and Ipad products?

Employee Advisor

Hi @alisaberindea

Are you talking about having Target activities run in mobile apps for iPhones and iPads? Or are you talking about something else?

Level 1

No, Target Experiences are not showing in iPhone and IPad devices for website experiences. 

The following is a blurb from: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/audiences/create-audiences/categories-audiences... 

Due to the new changes introduced in iOS 12.2, creating an audience with rules defined by Device Marketing Name and Device Model that specify iPhone Models is impacted. Target can no longer target users who have iPhones with iOS 12.2 (or later) installed on them. However, if those users do not have iOS 12.2 (or later), then the iPhone Model targeting continues to work correctly.

The iOS 12.2 (or later) update does not affect the identification of the following models because these models do not support upgrading to iOS 12.2: iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPad, iPad 2, iPad / Retina display, iPad Retina (4th Generation), iPod Touch 4, and iPod Touch 5.

I was wondering if there are any plans to work on fixing this in the future? and if so what the timeline for this might be?

Employee Advisor

Hi @alisaberindea

Thank you for clarifying! I don't believe there is anything on the Adobe side that can be done to change this situation. This is due to Apple changes to the UA string from their devices/OS. I will see if I can find any additional information but wanted to respond with what I have for now.

Level 1

Hello! Thank you Ryan for your reply. I just wanted to check back in with you to see if you have any further updates on this. Would you have any advice for work arounds to enable us to make Adobe Target Experiences and A/B tests visible to iPhone users? 

Community Advisor

How can I create Adobe Target variable so that I can map it to 3rd party extension tool variable via Launch?

For example, in the below screenshot, I have my integration with 3rd part tool that is allowing me to pull 3rd party tool default variable directly from drop-down (Segment Field on the left-hand side) and I have to map it to Adobe Target Field/Variable(on right side).

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 2.04.05 PM.png

This I have to do in order to sync the demographic info that 3rd party tool is capturing for me to flow into the Target Variable so that I can use that target variable to build audiences for personalization. But I am unsure how I can create this empty variable before mapping it to my 3rd party tool variable (Segment Filed in above screenshot)

Level 1

@Ryan_Roberts_, @GentryLin@ryan_pizzuto, and@MihneaD What would be you recommendation for transferring design files from Figma or similar platform to Target to test proof of concept before moving forward with development?