Expand my Community achievements bar.

Using Concat makes field un-editable client side, any way to make it editable?

Level 2

Posted a thread (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/822331) just yesterday asking about pulling multiple variables into a single line.

The solution given was exactly what I was looking for. Alas, I'm having a new problem now!

Using Concat works great, however I've found that I cannot make these fields editable within the client side file (pdf) for saving / printing.

Giving an example from the other thread here:

I would make a line to pull the data from other invisible fields:

$ = concat(CUSTOMER_ADDRESS, " ",CUSTOMER_CITY, " ",CUSTOMER_STATE, ", ",CUSTOMER_ZIPCODE)

This is correctly pulling from our system, unfortunately it's not always gaurenteed that our clients will enter customer data.

In the event that one of our clients does not enter said data, the following would be printed, sans leading and trailing quotations:

"   , "

This is acceptable, I'm fine with leaving a single comma for our clients to deal with to do with what they will - the downside is that this field is not editable.

Entering any data into the field on the client side (again, in a pdf), and moving to a new field will make that field revert back to what it would pull from the server.

Is there a way to make the field editable on the client side as well without defaulting back to what it (attempts) to pull from the server.

Thanks again in advance for your help o' wise Livecycle gurus.

1 Reply

Level 7

The problem is you are "pulling" the data into the field using the calculate event. This will be a problem because LC Designer makes the field "readOnly" when you use the  calculate event. There is a way to use field.access = "open" to change it from readOnly (or you can even edit the XML itself), however as soon as the calculate event fires, it will wipe out the keyed-in entry

You can "push"  the data from the other fields using the "exit" or "change" event on the field(s) collecting the data. If more than one field is used (combining the data), put a script on each of the fields to combine and push the data into the desired field. This will leave the field editable won't give you the annoying "   , " .

Good luck,

Stephen