Expand my Community achievements bar.

questions on dealing with dropdown lists

Former Community Member

Hi everyone, i'm totaly new to livecycle designer and i'm learning from your discussions alot of useful information everyday.

I have some questions about dealing with dropdown lists:

My first question, how can i populate a drop down list with data from a database table , and if there is another dropdown list that its values which are also must be brougt from the database table depends on the selection of the first one then how to do that?
I noticed that MS infopath users put the dropdown lists within what they call " a repeating section area" to make this, how can this  be achieved in LC designer, using subform as a repeating section or by writing a script to loop throught the DB table values in order to fill the DD list, please i want to do this

in LC which i found an interesting application and choose it for building eforms since pdf files became a part of our daily life

My second question , if the drop down list can populated with data from a database table , and the user open the form and decide to save it locally on his machine in order to filling it offline and submit it later, then is the dropdown list will keep its values inside the saved form ( i think not because its not further connected but not sure because i did not succeed yet with populating the DDlist with data from a DB table), so is this possible and if not is there a way to make it keep its values when its loaded first time when it was connected?

My third question, i noticed in MS infopath that in the properties of the dropdown list there is a capability to define the input data source and output or destination to store the selected value. please how can this be achieved with livecycle dropdown object ? i'm sure there is a away to make this but i'm new to LC and don't know how.

i really appreciate any thought , advice , script or link you may givee me .

Thanks

Mustafa

2 Replies

Former Community Member

I sent you a link to a specific blog entry fro Stefan ...he has also done other entries where he discusses everything you have asked for in this post. I suggest you look at his blog and do a search for Database ...I woudl start there to get an understanding and then we can delve deeper into your specific queries.

Paul

Former Community Member

Thanks alot Paul, i'll try the bolg. I'm really happy to join such a forum full with good friends.

Mustafa