Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

LiveCycle ES2 data drop down list issue

Level 1

I am attempting to make a dynamic form based upon a SQL 2008R2 database table. I need to have a data drop down list that populates from the database, and then when that list item is chosen, populate the remainder of the document fields from the database based upon that selection from the drop down list. I understand the drop down has to be bound to the data connection, but I am having trouble getting the list items to act like the documentation says they should. Here's what I have done thus far:

1. Under tools/options I have designated the data binding are to display dynamic content.

2. I have created a data connection to the database, and can see all database fields in the data view tab, and can also place those fields onto the document.

3.When I place the data drop down list onto the form, I indicate the list to be bound to the data connection I created previously, and the binding tab has this: '$record.DataConnection.databasefield".

4. From what I understand, the field tab, list items should be a green hyperlink, and it is not. I have no idea why, or how to accomplish what I need to do from here.

Am I asking too much of the software or am I missing something to make this happen. I have struggled with this for a few days now, and am about ready to move to something else for reporting. Can anyone assist?

Thanks for any advice or help

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi again,

I've opened your form and looked at the XML properties within the LiveCycle. I've noticed that your form is only an interactive form but not considered as a dynamic form.

To be able to use the option Dynamic Properties you will have to create a dynamic form.

Unfortunately your form is basically an image and have no objects except for fields, so I did not made one quick for you.

I suggest you to create a new form and remake the form.

Make sure you have the properties dynamic when creating the new form, I am not sure if having master pages is the hint for a PDF to be interactive with dynamic properties

If you are having any trouble making this, let me know

I hope this will help you

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 10

Hi there,

to be able to set the list items in green as a link to set data binding you need to check an option within LiveCycle settings :

Tools -> Options -> Data Binding -> (Check) Show Dynamic Properties

This should enable the list items data binding!

Hope this will help you out!

Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but that setting is indeed checked...see #1 in my original post.

Level 10

Alright, but you're saying using a data drop down list.. I personally have tried a data drop down list to do what I needed with no success.

I prefer using a simple drop down list to do so.. but either one or the other should have List Items in green link with the option checked...

I would not want to mislead you anywhere, but when I had an issue with this the only solution I found was to check that option. Maybe there's another option you are missing or already checked out (can't be sure)

If you can, you could share your form I could take a look at it just to see if I can find anything unusual, but I can't assure you that I'll find something.

Sorry for not being of any help.

Level 1

I can share the form. If you want, give me your email and I can attach it and send it to you.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi again,

I've opened your form and looked at the XML properties within the LiveCycle. I've noticed that your form is only an interactive form but not considered as a dynamic form.

To be able to use the option Dynamic Properties you will have to create a dynamic form.

Unfortunately your form is basically an image and have no objects except for fields, so I did not made one quick for you.

I suggest you to create a new form and remake the form.

Make sure you have the properties dynamic when creating the new form, I am not sure if having master pages is the hint for a PDF to be interactive with dynamic properties

If you are having any trouble making this, let me know

I hope this will help you

Level 1

Hi friend,

i'm also facing same issue..

I'm attempting to set up a PDF form with drop down fields referencing a SQL database. I'm having issues with LiveCycles "Data Drop Down List" connecting to my ODBC connector. The first value is shown in the field so I know my database connection is set up, however the drop down menu does not open.

I've found other resources online that describe Enabling "Show Dynamic Properties" and configuring the Data Binding. However the drop down list still does not open.

please advise me and share screenshot to done this.