Expand my Community achievements bar.

Live Cycle pdf 8.2 not working with acrobat 8

Level 4

Hi,

I created a form in Live Cycle 8.2.  I saved it and it works great with Acrobat 9 pro, but when I had a user try it with 8, they could not save it.  They could fill in the information, but it would not enable them to save it.

Are there limitations with that?

Thanks for the help!

8 Replies

Former Community Member

Were you using Acrobat 8 or Reader 8. For Reader to save the form and data it must be Reader Extended to allow for that. Acrobat 9 can Reader Extend it to allow for local saving.

Paul

Level 4

How do you get reader extended? Is it something you need to buy?

Former Community Member

It is part of Acrobat but the license agreement says that you cannot distribute the form to more than 500 users. If you need more than that then you will have to buy LiveCycle Reader Extension server.

Lets make sure that is the issue first. Open your form in Acrobat and click on the Advanced/Extend Features in Adobe Reader file menu. This will start a wizard, take all of the defaults , then when it is finished save your form out with a different name  (I like to put RE in the name so I know that it has been extended - filname_RE.pdf). Now try it with the RE extended form.

Paul

Level 4

One more issue before I can do that, every time I try to open LiveCycle, it crashes. I have windows xp and Adobe Acrobat 9 pro?

Have you had any problems with that?

Level 4

This is the error signature if this helps at all??

AppName: formdesigner.exe AppVer: 8.2.1.3144 ModName: mfc80u.dll

ModVer: 8.0.50727.1833 Offset: 0004c655

Former Community Member

No I have not ...there were a couple of posts on thsi board about crashes and what they did to solve them (collisions with another dll). You may want to do a search and check it out.

Paul

Level 4

The client I'm working with has other .pdf forms that they can save information once they fill them out. I'm trying to figure out what is different about the .pdf's that I'm making in livecycle that is not allowing them to save? Is it because I have more advanced functionality like adding table rows and spanning text boxes across pages?

I don't understand why they can save some .pdf's but not the one I made from Livecycle?

Former Community Member

If you are only going to use Acrobat then ignore that part ....if you are going to distribute the file to Reader users they will not be able to send back the PDF unless you do that part.

Paul