Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to save a form for Adobe Reader 7

Level 2

Hello all, I created a form in LiveCycleDesigner ES 8.2 and extended the rights in Acrobat pro and my client says that he tried to insert text and save it and then re-open it and wasn't able to insert text again once it was saved? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

15 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

When you open the form in LC Designer, you can go to the File > Form Properties > Defaults tab and set the Target Version. Set this to Acrobat/Reader 7.

In relation to the problem the client is having, what are they using to open the form? Is it Reader or another viewer? What version? It is difficult to say what it going on. The way you describe it the field is locked when opened a second time.

Can you share the form? If so upload it to Acrobat.com and post the published link here.

Niall

Level 2

The client is opening it up in Adobe Reader, regarding uploading to Acrobat.com, I'm no so familier with it so can you direct me how to do that?

I really appreciate your help!

Level 2

Reviewing the form I see that it was infact set to be viewed in Acrobat/Reader 7 and above.

Level 10

Hi,

If you go to http://www.acrobat.com you can set up a free account and upload files. Just remember to publish/share the file and then post the url here:

Acrobat.com.png

In the meantime, check the binding for the objects on the form. In LC Designer go to the Object > Bindings tab, you should have normal/name. If they are set to none that may be the problem.

Niall

Level 2

I have checked the binding options and all are set for normal.

Here is the url where I uploaded the file https://acrobat.com/app.html#d=yEiHtuhw5aguGAImdBHe6g

Please help me on this as today is my deadline for it.

Thanks again!!!

Level 10

Hi,

I don't think you have shared the file on acrobat.com. You need to share it by clicking 'Publish'. This will then give you the option to copy the published URL as per the screenshot above.

Niall

Level 10

Hi,

I have tested it here back as far as Reader v7.0.5 and it works perfectly. It is possible to save the data, as you have applied the Reader rights to the form.

You have created the form by importing an existing Word or PDF document. However this should work OK in v7. I am not sure what the problem is at your end.

Niall

Level 2

Thanks again for your time!

My client was saying that once he saves it he was not able to re-open it and insert text in the forms.

In any case how could I test it for older versions?

I really appreciate your help here!!!

Level 10

Hi,

I have reopened your form in Reader v7.0.5 several times and the form is available for new data. In addition previously inputted data is saved in the form and can be overwritten if required.

The form is behaving exactly as expected - data can be inputted in the target version. I also checked the form in LC Designer and everything appears OK, there are no warnings.

I would recommend that the client upgrade Reader to a new/newer version.

I have a few legacy machines and one of these has Reader v7.0.5 on it. That's the only way to test (afaik).

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

I appreciate you help allot.

I'll see what developes...

Level 2

I found the problem! When I Save As it automatically overules the extended features so that when i open the save as file it's as if the extended features were not extended.

Now I just need the solution to the problem.

Sol

Thanks for your help!!!

Level 10

As I say, that's not the behaviour we see here, opening your form in Reader v7.0.5.

Your form can be opened, saved, re-opened and re-saved without any loss in Reader rights.

???

Niall

Level 2

Did you try to enter text in the form and then save it as a different name and re-open it. I downloaded version 7 and I'm getting that error. If i save a blank form and reopen it I dont get any error. Doesnt it have to do with allowoing to be saved as a template?

Level 10

I just downloaded your form and did not make any changes to it in LC Designer.

When testing in Reader v7.0.5, I typed in information, saved it and reopened - fields still available. I then reopened typed in new information and saved with a new filename. When I opened it again, all of the fields were available. Repeating the steps both save and save as had no effect - Reader rights remained.

In all cases I stayed with the PDF format. When in LC Designer you can a form as a template .tds, but as far as I know you cannot apply Reader rights to this using Acrobat.

Niall