Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

How to convert Dyanamic XFA form to standard PDF in JAVA

Former Community Member

Hi.

I am aware that similar questions have been asked in the past but I am not able to find any definite answer. And, I may have a slightly different (easier) requirement, so I thought of raising this question again.

I have a Dynamic XFA form created using LiveCycle Designer.  I have used XSD binding and at runtime, in Java,  using some third party utility I fill in the XML data adhering to the XSD in this Dynamic form. So the result is a filled PDF document (pretty much static) which looks like any other read only PDF document. But, as at the core it is a XFA document, I am not able to concatenate it with other such resulting PDF document. No third party library is able to handle it and the reason may be the fact that they are internally dealing with XML rather than a standard PDF.

So to be specific : I need to find some Java based solution as I do not have a way to do it using LiveCycle or any Desktop based tool. And I need to concatenate two Dynamic XFA documents which have been filled out and saved as x.pdf and y.pdf on a disk. They look and feel like any standard PDF documents.

What are my options? Does Adobe have any Java APIs for this purpose? I am looking for some cost effective solution though as we can not afford to buy a full enterprise suite for this purpose.

Any help or pointers are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply

Level 10

Hi,

the only things that can flatten a XFA form to a static PDF is either a PDF Printer or the LiveCycle Output service.

Here's an article which explains it a bit more.

http://blogs.adobe.com/steampowered/tag/livecycle-output