Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!

concatenate object name

Former Community Member

Hi,

I'm trying to determine if it's possible to concatenate the values of two fields to become the name of another object on my form. Here is a description of my situation to help explain:

I am creating a form for my workplace. This form will be used for tracking an indiviual repair process. Each repair gets assigned a unique job number "123456". On the form, there is are fields to input any parts necessary to rebuild the unit being worked on. We do a very high volume of repairs and are developing a reporting system using LiveCycle and some XML coding which will read the form and compile the data somewhere else. The resulting file will contain things like start/stop dates, unit indentification numbers, etc. The gentlemen writing the XML file would like my parts needed field names on the Adobe form to read something like "123456a, 123456b, etc" so that each field name has a corresponding letter at the end of it's value.

I have a field already on my form that displays the job number, and I was wondering if the was anyway that I could have a object title reference the job number box, and a value list that has A-Z and automatically concatenate them to create the "123456a" object title?

1 Reply

Former Community Member

I wasn't sure if you meant concatenate for the rawValue or the caption so I did both.

p.png

The calculate event for the second part number looks like this....

// form1.page1.subform1.partNumber_::calculate - (JavaScript, client)

if (form1.page1.subform1.jobNumber.isNull || form1.page1.subform1.letter.isNull) {

this.rawValue = "";

}

else {

this.rawValue = form1.page1.subform1.jobNumber.rawValue + form1.page1.subform1.letter.rawValue;

xfa.resolveNode("form1.page1.subform1.partNumber_.caption.value.#text").value = this.rawValue;

}

Steve