Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Button Submits Mailto: Flakey

Level 2

I made a Button with the control type: Submit and url with "mailto:"   The Submit As has PDF as I wanted the form to be submitted as well.

Basically, this does not work all the time but I can get it to work after I click on a "mailto:" link not on the form (like a webpage or something).

I am using Adobe Reader 9.1.0 but the same thing happens on 8 as well.

Any ideas?

5 Replies

Former Community Member

If you want to mail the completed form (this is viewed as a save operation) you woudl have to Reader Extend the form to allow this. You can Reader Extend the form (a one time operation) by opening it in Acrobat and using the Advanced/Extend Features in Adobe Reader. This will allow you to do a local save operation (which this is viewed to be). If you email the data file instead then there is no need to Reader Extend.

Paul

Level 2

Hi Paul,

Sorry i should have elaborated abit more.

I have already Extended for Reader Users.

Normally, everything works well.. but there are some times when the button seems like it is going to do something - but never does. 

I found that if I go click on a link like a a href="mailto:....." >...</a> on the internet it works.. and then the form begins to work.. it's like something is being held in the pipeline or something..  I have found this to be the same on other users systems as well.. not just mine.

Could this be a BUG?  Unfortunitly I cannot distrube my form as it is confiedential.

Former Community Member

The response of your system to the creation of the mail mesage will be dependant on the mail client being used. Also I have seen virus scan programs block the automation of an email message thinking that a virus could be doing the automation. It coudl be the virus checker affecting the performance. Does the email eventually get sent or does it just sit there?

Paul

Level 2

We use Outlook 2003.

It when the draft email gets created.  Sometimes it gets created and sometimes it doesnt.

But why would it always work for another mailto command (like in a web browers) and not for the form's one?

Former Community Member

I do not know .....we coudl change the mail command to use a mailto as well if you think that will help.

Paul