Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Add row / delete row in PDF Form

Level 2

[Thread Edited By Adobe]

/*Don’t forget to meet and greet your fellow peers virtually by telling them about yourself here

Go ahead and to it now: https://adobe.ly/3eDnB4v */

Actual Question:

Alright so I am really struggling here and no one has been able to provide me a solid answer to date.

1. I am creating a PDF form I want users to be able to fill and remit via email

2. I have created the form in Acrobat 9 Pro via the form Wizard and in some combination with MS Word 2007 for text and table fields to get the forms wizard to auto-populate Adobe form fields.

3. Some of the tables, i.e. In the first table for "Full Time" and "Part Time" should have check boxes - works fine to date. While others should have drop downs, i.e. platform build, etc - works fine to date.

4. This is the pressing issue. As they exist today there is a large table as you can clearly see. I want users to be able to simply click an "Add Row" or "Delete Row" button to add another row to the table (or delete) without having to have a massive table.

I've watched demos on Lynda.com (all of which are irrelevant and provided 0 value), tried to work with what people have responded with previously but all are mainly sample documents and I don't know where to start. In short, I open my form and other forms in LifeCycle Designer ES, take a look at the buttons people have created, the scripts, the XML source, etc. but no idea where to go. If the button needs to be in the table. How it should be scripted. etc. I cannot find a video tutorial anywhere on the web and all the responses simply provide a sample but no idea how to make it a reality in terms of translating their sample into a working dynamic form in PDF. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

example.JPG

5 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

when you need dynamic forms you'll have to design them from scratch in Designer.

Imported forms (PDF/Word) are rendered as static layout and cannot do such things, sorry.

Level 10

For a dynamic table you have to design a new XFA-form in Designer.

Here's a little tutorial how to create dynamic tables.

http://forms.stefcameron.com/2009/02/25/expandable-table-with-totals/

Just a little correction.

You can inport Docx-Files with tables and add / remove rows in a dynamic PDF.

But, this is not handy, if the table contains more than one row when it is imported because Designer gives every detected row the same name (Row).

Delete all row excepting the first one and set it to repeatable in the binding tab.

Then you can use the addInstance() and removeInstance() methods to add/remove row to the table.

Here an example file I made from a docx file.

https://acrobat.com/#d=k8XbQWmqu6bhfrrwui93pw

Level 1

I recently came across your thread after doing research on the same issue. It appears you have this functionality in Adobe LiveCycle Designer, as mentioned above, however, it's being decommissioned. The functionality will be available in Adobe Experience Manager, from what I was told. Although, the purchase is not justifiable for me.

After further research, I've discovered you can create a form with this feature in Microsoft Word using the Developer tab. See the Repeating Section Content Control. You can add check boxes, drop downs, etc. You would need to leave the file in it's native file format, from what I can tell. But it looks like you can add some restrictions on editing certain fields, if you'd prefer. I just figured this all out so I'll be tinkering with it for a bit. It does look like this will solve my problem though. Hope it helps... even over 7 years later. (:

1419602_pastedImage_2.png

Level 1

I used the instructions in the video (link below) to create exactly the functionality you describe.  Hope it works in your form.

add delete row in livecycle designer - Bing video

Doug