Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!

Make a check box in LiveCycle with a personal character or image as check mark ( info to share...)

Former Community Member
Hello everybody,

It makes now several weeks i go trough the different forums to find a way to make the check mark of a check box in LiveCycle with a personal color instead of the default black mark, that seems to be the only option available.

I saw somebody else with that question, but no answer.

So i found a work around, that make the check box really flexible.

Here it is:

REMEMBER that this will work only with forms saved as dynamic PDF.

Open a new form in Livecycle.

1) Open Library panel ( Shift+F12) and select Check Box and put it in the page with the dimension and position you like and select it.

Open the Object panel ( Shift+F7), select field section and under Caption make it blank. Select Binding Section and under name write in ' CheckBox '. for the rest leave all the section values as they are.

2) In Library select, in the standard section, the icon for making a text object. Put it in the page and size it to your needs and put it on the top of the CheckBox. Select it.

In the Object Panel, Draw section and under Presence 'Visible'.

Open the Font panel ( Shift+F4) and under font section, Font : select the Wingdings font and choose the symbol to use as the mark, under Size : the size you need, under Style: font color you like. If the result of the mark is to your feel, set the object to 'invisible'. Leave all other values as they are.

Open the Hierarchy panel (Shift+F11), right click on the static object and rename it to ' CheckMarkModel ' .

For information : changing the text object to an image object let's you use an image for the mark in the checkbox.

3) In Library, select in the standard section the icon for making a Button. Put it in the page and size it to the CheckBox dimension and put it on the top of the text object. Select it. In the Object panel, under Caption : make it blank, under Appearance : select custom in the drop down list an in the dialog box that comes up set the edges to none and the

background to none. Leave the rest as it is.

Open the Hierarchy panel (Shift+F11), right click on the Button object and rename it to ' ClickCheckBoxButton ' .

Now open the Script Editor (Shift+Ctrl+F5), on the left under Show : select in the list the ' Click ' event, under Language : select JavaScript, copy to the window the following script :

if (CheckMarkOnOff.rawValue == "0")

{

CheckMarkOnOff.rawValue = "1";

CheckMarkModel.presence = "visible";

}

else if (CheckMarkOnOff.rawValue == "1")

{

CheckMarkModel.presence = "invisible";

CheckMarkOnOff.rawValue = "0";

}

4)Now put in the page an other Check Box, put it on the top of the Button object and select it. In the Object panel, Field section, under Caption : make it blank, under Appearance : none, under Presence : invisible, let the rest as it is. In the Value section, under Type : Read Only, under Default : Off. In the Binding section, under Name : name it CheckMarkOnOff, leave the rest as it is.

5) So you have now four objects in the page 1. In the Hierarchy panel set each object by dragging them in

this order :

CheckBox

CheckMarkModel

ClickCheckBoxButton

CheckMarkOnOff

In the form select all the objects and group them. If you copy the group as many times you need you automatically will have an other Check Box, ready to work.

So here you are with an personal Check Box.

Don't forget to set the preview PDF to dynamic under Menu /File/Form Properties, the in the dialog box that shows up /Default tab and under the XDP Preview format : select in the list an Acrobat Dynamic form.

REMEMBER that this will work only with forms saved as dynamic PDF.

If somebody from Adobe could upload the sample file i made, to the forum, so that anybody can download it to his computer, would be appreciated, email me at : mamjodhmailvalid-adobeforums@yahoo.fr .

Regards Mike.
7 Replies

Former Community Member
Thank you soooooo much! I felt like I was in a field of crickets with this question.

Former Community Member
Hi everybody,

I found a website to host the sample file. So to download the sample file click one of the links here below.

http://s15.quicksharing.com/v/2077544/Personel_Check_Mark_in_LiveCycle_CheckBox.pdf.html

b pdf livecycle file

http://s19.quicksharing.com/v/9464752/Personel_Check_Mark_in_LiveCycle_CheckBox.tds.html

b tds livecycle file

an here the sample file with as a check mark, an image.

http://s26.quicksharing.com/v/2183268/1Personel_Check_Mark_in_LiveCycle_CheckBoxwithimage.tds.html

b tds livecycle file

Regards Mike

Former Community Member
Hi everybody,

I made two textured gif files, a red cross and a green check, with transparent background to use with the, Checkbox with as a check mark an image, sample file.

If you like them feel free to use.

i ( I made them, with no copyright on it.)

Click on the link below for download.

http://s26.quicksharing.com/v/2803753/CheckAndCrossMark.zip.html

Regards Mike.

Former Community Member
Hi everybody,

The links to the web page of quicksharing.com is not valid anymore.

So i found an other web site that leave the files permanently.

I believe it is important to share, so that anyone can make more efficiently there forms.

So who likes, can now download the example files here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1478e13c808eda5b4012e8015643d9c88a9edd6dd3fc55f6

Click on the link.

Then ones on the web page click on each link.

That will open another page, where you will have an download button.

Every file is scanned for viruses so it is save.

There are in total 4 files, 2 of theme are the examples files an the other 2 are gif images to use with one of the example file.

Regards Mike

Former Community Member
I also faced this same problem and there is an actual solution but it involves modifying the xml source for the checkbox - however it is a simple modification so if your not familiar with editing the xml source don't worry about that. <br /><br />Click on the checkbox you want to modify and then click on the XML Source tab. LiveCycle will take you to that point in the XML. <br /><br />Now, scroll down until the close of the ui node( </ui> )within the checkbox field and modify the font node to look like the following:<br /><br /></ui> -- close of UI node<br /><font typeface="Arial"><br /> <fill><br /> <color value="0,0,255"/><br /> </fill><br /></font><br /><br />This produces a checkbox with a blue check mark. <br />You can, of course, make the color any RGB number you want.<br /><br />You can then save that field in your library and reuse it anytime you want and it will always have that color checkmark. <br /><br />Good luck. <br />-Andrew