Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!

Can I write XML PDF without Adobe LiveCycle ?

Former Community Member
Hallo:-)

My firm have product to create blank /form/, which we save into our XML format. We want to "save as" forms into XML PDF format.

But only use XML not PDF into XDP format.

I read XML Forms Architecture (XFA)Specification Version 2.4 ...

Is there other resources and samples?

And Is it possible task?
4 Replies

Level 6
If my understanding is correct, XDP is an open specification. You could build the ability to create XDP forms into your product just as other companies have developed tools that create and manipulate PDF (also an open spec).

Former Community Member
Thank You, Jared for your answer. You are right that XDP and PDF are open specifications. My exactly question is Can it do XDP form without PDF packet in. And this XDP file include only XML to describe form, understanding from Adobe Reader!?

I didn't see any sample with XDP form only with XML...

Level 6
I'm not sure that I understand your question. Are you asking whether Adobe Reader can open an XDP file and display it as a PDF even if there's no PDF packet in it? The short answer is no. You can convert an XDP to a PDF using Adobe LiveCycle Designer. If you want to convert to PDF at run time you need a server product - Adobe LiveCycle Forms.

Former Community Member
Thank You, Jared

You have understood me very well. I thought that Adobe can open XML form. Maybe this will be next step, I hope!:-)