Expand my Community achievements bar.

Can a pdf be saved as static/flat version?

Level 4
Hi there

Anyone know of a clever way to save a dynamic LiveCycle pdfForm (with calculation etc) as a flat pdf?? I would like that calculations (time, date lookup etc.) will not run when pdf is re-opened. (I know that this can be scripted, but the idea of a flat pdf is better!!)

The function to create the flat pdf should be handled from Reader 7.0.7 (the client) and pdf is reader extended!

Any clever ideas - Thanks in advance

/Thomas G

Jyske Bank, Denmark
10 Replies

Former Community Member
While I don't know how to generate a print-only ("very" static PDF) from a PDF open in Reader without prompting the user, I thought I would mention the
calculationsEnabled property on the Acrobat Document object. By setting this property's value to
false, you'll effectively turn "off" all calculations on the form (in JavaScript as follows):

xfa.host.calculationsEnabled = false;

When this statement is executed, the calculated values will become "frozen" at their current calculated value until you set the property back to
true at which point all calculations will be run again and any changes made to field on which calculations are dependent will be taken into account.

So this doesn't really turn the PDF into a "static" PDF but it gives you the ability to easily freeze all calculations on a form with a simple JavaScript statement.

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
Here's a sample PDF form which has two decimal fields where the second is the first's value with an additional "100" and where a button is provided to toggle form calculations on/off (calculations are initially "on").

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Level 4
Good stuff Stefan :)

As I see it, this can work just as well for archive task or when we need to save a final copy for the client. I will tjek it in our asetup, but it is looking good!

Thanks!!

P.S. You have a good knowledge about the platform - any places you get this knowledge, or is it just by helping and solving all out problems??

Former Community Member
Thank you. I hope this works-out for you.

Unfortunately, I can't point you to a specific place where I get all my knowledge. Since I work at Adobe on the Designer product, I not only have access to the public information (like the
Adobe XML Form Object Model Reference (in the XML section at the bottom) which is one of the most useful documents you'll find at the moment) but I also have access to the code and to many colleagues who know the answers to some of these questions. And yes, answering questions and reading posts on these forums has also helped me learn a lot.

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
I just remembered another very useful document: The
XFA Specification. This helps you know which attributes and elements are allowed in various XFA constructs and can help you understand why things work the way they do.

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Level 4
I cannot access the link. Can you attach the pdf

Thanks

/thomas

Former Community Member
OK. Here it is (it's a 4.3 MB download). Note that this is the reference for Designer 7.1.

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Level 4
hehe.. sorry for the trouble.. but it was the XFA Specification I could not access

- allready have the Adobe XML Form Object Model for 7.1 which we use!!

/Thomas

Jyske Bank, Denmark

Former Community Member
That's OK. Here's the XFA Spec.

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Level 4
Nice.. Thanks for your help Stefan, see you in another topic soon :)

/Thomas

Jyske Bank, Denmark