Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Client Services DataLayer Extension

Level 2

My company website doesn't have a datalayer and I'm looking at the client services datalayer extension. Am I understanding it right that I can write the DataLayer code in the client services extension and avoid having to hard code the datalayer onto the pages of our website? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

No matter what data layer is used, the source of the data should be from the website (application layer). If you are referring to the Adobe Client Data Layer, the extension can load the library however, the website will still need to populate the values in it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Correct. It is a set of client-side js libraries for having a data layer across the site and is delivered through Launch (Tags). It is essentially like have a globally scoped (window) object across the site. 

Level 2

Thanks. Just to make sure I'm not confusing anything, what you're saying is that we can avoid having a dev from our IT team create a datalayer object on our website (hard-coded) and I can implement the datalayer in launch and it get's pushed (in theory) to the page where I can load the datalayer variables through separate launch rules? 

Is that correct?

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

No matter what data layer is used, the source of the data should be from the website (application layer). If you are referring to the Adobe Client Data Layer, the extension can load the library however, the website will still need to populate the values in it.

Level 5

Short answer is you cannot bypass web development activities from IT to leverage the data layer. There will be some changes that needs to be made in the webpages as well, like passing data to the data layer, but it will not be 'hard coded', so its a one time Dev for the variable data capture and then you can use it however you want using Launch rules, hope this makes sense.

Community Advisor

Hey @janderson2_ssfcu 

See if this helps in setting up technical specs for Adobe Client Data Layer (ACDL) : https://github.com/adobe/adobe-client-data-layer/wiki 

And this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHce23dtyx4 

ACDL Extension helps you to read and capture values from adobeDataLayer Objects, once the webpage populates it on the browser while rendering.

However, ACDL extension itself can't setup or embed a data layer in the page code.

Hope this helps!