Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Tracking an iFrame using AEP - changing MCID challenge

Level 2

We have an issue with tracking an iFrame using AEP and changing MCIDs

We have AEP Installed across our primary domain (x.com) everything works fine, Analytics sends the correct beacon requests and the MCID remains constant.

Recently the business has developed an ACS webform and hosted on completely different domain (.adobe-campaign.com) and added it into a webpage on our primary domain as a standard iFrame.

We’ve added AEP to this webform (.adobe-campaign.com).

When we navigate to the primary domain (x.com) with the iFrame (.adobe-campaign.com) we see two-Analytics page load requests (x.com) with the constant MCID and (.adobe-campaign.com) with a different MCID.

I understand that the iFrame will generate a new MCID as it’s on a completely different domain however the issue I have is that every hit to (.adobe-campaign.com) generates a completely new MCID and not keep the first.

I have two questions:

- Is there a way the iFrame (.adobe-campaign.com) can use the primary MCID from (x.com)? – I’m not sure this is possible as they are totally different domains.

- If the above is not possible how can we configure so the the iFrame (.adobe-campaign.com) keeps the same MCID and not change every refresh/hit?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

In your <iframe> HTML tag, are there any attributes besides the standard "src" one? IFRAMEs can have attributes that instruct the browser to restrict the data that can be sent between the parent frame and the IFrame, and that could cause issues like what you're observing with your cookie.

One way to make the MCID remain constant in the IFrame is to pass the MCID from your parent domain to your IFrame. You can use ECID's appendVisitorIDsTo method to  "decorate" the IFrame's "src" URL with the MCID. This will have to be done programmatically by your developers. One warning: it could cause the IFrame content to flicker in the user's browser when the browser reloads the IFrame with the decorated URL. Ref: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/id-service/using/id-service-api/methods/appendvisitorid.html...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

In your <iframe> HTML tag, are there any attributes besides the standard "src" one? IFRAMEs can have attributes that instruct the browser to restrict the data that can be sent between the parent frame and the IFrame, and that could cause issues like what you're observing with your cookie.

One way to make the MCID remain constant in the IFrame is to pass the MCID from your parent domain to your IFrame. You can use ECID's appendVisitorIDsTo method to  "decorate" the IFrame's "src" URL with the MCID. This will have to be done programmatically by your developers. One warning: it could cause the IFrame content to flicker in the user's browser when the browser reloads the IFrame with the decorated URL. Ref: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/id-service/using/id-service-api/methods/appendvisitorid.html...