Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Tag documentation -Data Collection Launch

Level 2

I'm looking for very detailed Instructions and Videos on implementing tags in Launch.  Mostly on Rules, Data Elements and Extensions. Seems that this information is very basic and limited.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

OK, I don't know Tealium, but together we should be able to cross reference our experiences and find a way to get you up and running.

At a base minimum, here is a basic description of the elements:

Rules

This is basically your triggers, conditions and actions. Example, on Window Loaded (trigger), where Page is X (optional condition), Do "Something" or multiple things (these can be run sequentially or in parallel)

Data Elements

These are basically your variables..  They can be simple items (pull a cookie/storage value, take the value from a JS variable/object on the page, set a constant value, Page Info (host, path, referrer, etc), or you can get fancy and use JS to process data and return a value, etc)

Extensions

These are basically modules that you can add to your site. So Core is standard and installed by default, but you can then add Adobe Analytics or WebSDK, Visitor ID Service, Multimedia, you can even do Google Analytics, or other potential integrations, there are also just "helper" extensions that allow you leverage functionality for your Data Elements (i.e. There is a Lookup Table utility, or a Product String utility if you don't want to write the JS yourself). I suggest starting with the basics of what you need then add as you need... most of the extensions you can do with straight JS if you are comfortable with coding... 

To start, you are probably going to want these Extensions as a minimum:

• Core (pre-installed)
  • Experience Cloud ID Service
  • Adobe Analytics / Adobe Experience Platform Web SDK (depending on if you want to do WebSDK or not)

If you are using the Adobe Data Layer, then you will also want Adobe Client Data Layer... 

I normally start an implementation by starting to create my repository of Data Elements (you can test the values using your Browser Console even before you create any rules or tracking)

// in the console
_satellite.getVar('Data Element Name');

You can check that your values are being set correctly.

Then you can start with a simple rule, setting basic values, and test to make sure that things are looking good. 

Once you have the basic rules down, you can work on the rest of what you need, testing periodically.

It's definitely in your best interest to make sure that your QA/Dev environment is set to use the Dev Environment code, this is the easiest to push incremental changes to for testing. If you have a Staging environment you would set that to the Staging Code, and your Prod obviously set to Prod.... and hopefully you have at least a Prod and Testing Suite to send the data to (I send Dev and Staging to my QA Suite, and Prod to my prod suite)

We can go a lot deeper into this, but this should help get you started.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

You're right, I don't really know of a good A-Z / step-by-step implementation guide....

Matters are even more complicated by having both Client Side (AppMeasurment.js) and WebSDK (XDM Stream) implementations available....

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to work with you on this, while I see if I can find any good documentation.

For reference, do you have past Adobe implementation experience? Are you coming from another Analytics service (like GA/GTM)? Are you completely new?

Understanding your experience will help me to find the best content for you.

Level 2

Hi Jennifer, I have experience using Tealium. I look forward to any helpful documentation. Thank you.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

OK, I don't know Tealium, but together we should be able to cross reference our experiences and find a way to get you up and running.

At a base minimum, here is a basic description of the elements:

Rules

This is basically your triggers, conditions and actions. Example, on Window Loaded (trigger), where Page is X (optional condition), Do "Something" or multiple things (these can be run sequentially or in parallel)

Data Elements

These are basically your variables..  They can be simple items (pull a cookie/storage value, take the value from a JS variable/object on the page, set a constant value, Page Info (host, path, referrer, etc), or you can get fancy and use JS to process data and return a value, etc)

Extensions

These are basically modules that you can add to your site. So Core is standard and installed by default, but you can then add Adobe Analytics or WebSDK, Visitor ID Service, Multimedia, you can even do Google Analytics, or other potential integrations, there are also just "helper" extensions that allow you leverage functionality for your Data Elements (i.e. There is a Lookup Table utility, or a Product String utility if you don't want to write the JS yourself). I suggest starting with the basics of what you need then add as you need... most of the extensions you can do with straight JS if you are comfortable with coding... 

To start, you are probably going to want these Extensions as a minimum:

• Core (pre-installed)
  • Experience Cloud ID Service
  • Adobe Analytics / Adobe Experience Platform Web SDK (depending on if you want to do WebSDK or not)

If you are using the Adobe Data Layer, then you will also want Adobe Client Data Layer... 

I normally start an implementation by starting to create my repository of Data Elements (you can test the values using your Browser Console even before you create any rules or tracking)

// in the console
_satellite.getVar('Data Element Name');

You can check that your values are being set correctly.

Then you can start with a simple rule, setting basic values, and test to make sure that things are looking good. 

Once you have the basic rules down, you can work on the rest of what you need, testing periodically.

It's definitely in your best interest to make sure that your QA/Dev environment is set to use the Dev Environment code, this is the easiest to push incremental changes to for testing. If you have a Staging environment you would set that to the Staging Code, and your Prod obviously set to Prod.... and hopefully you have at least a Prod and Testing Suite to send the data to (I send Dev and Staging to my QA Suite, and Prod to my prod suite)

We can go a lot deeper into this, but this should help get you started.

Administrator

@matt0000001 Did you find the suggested solutions helpful? It would be great if you can  mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, share it with wider audience in the community.