Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Send Beacon/s.t(); does not lead to an actual network request until an additional click event is triggered

Level 2

Hey

I have a common page view rule, firing when "DOM is ready". The console shows me that the rule fires and all actions within the rule will be triggered: set variables, send beacon, clear variables. 

But the actual network requests is missing, so the tracking call is somehow buffered. 

When I click somewhere on the website, I don't even need to click a clickable element, the network request will be actually fired. 

So, somehow my setup is buffering the request.

I did not made any changes to the page view rule itself, but some click events. What I did: I disabled ActivityMap and ClickMap in the Adobe Extension and I updated the Adobe Analytics extension to version 1.9.3. Right now it seems there's not even a change log for this revision. 

Rolling back to a previous version of my tag container does not fix the problem, so I assume it's not connected to my rules. 

Right now I am not sure if this is a bug in my setup or if it's caused by this mysterious version 1.9.3. I found out that AppMeasurement added an "optional" feature for request buffering. Well, this seems like a good explanation. But I do not see how to disable this "optional" feature...

So, any help is highly appreciated because I'm struggling with this for a while now. 

//EDIT
I tested it with a testing tag container and it seems like it is connected to Adobe Analytics release 1.9.3. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Found the reason. I am using custom code to set my tracking vars. 

To safe "chars", I am using the common approach "D=c123" to point to an existing dimension. This works pretty fine, except when setting the referrer.

Long story short, if you set the referrer tracking var like this:

...&r=D=

The tracking call will be "buffered" and besides that, eventually the value in the tracking call will be replaced with the actual referrer value instead of "r=D%3Dc123". 

..". 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 2

Found the reason. I am using custom code to set my tracking vars. 

To safe "chars", I am using the common approach "D=c123" to point to an existing dimension. This works pretty fine, except when setting the referrer.

Long story short, if you set the referrer tracking var like this:

...&r=D=

The tracking call will be "buffered" and besides that, eventually the value in the tracking call will be replaced with the actual referrer value instead of "r=D%3Dc123". 

..".