Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Rule name

Level 4

Hi ,

I have a question , is there any rule convention whoever follows which is easy to understand for everyone.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @AEPAA 

I am assuming you are talking about Data Collection Tags (adobe launch) rules naming here.

There is no one size fits all but I use something similar to the below.

Solution Type | Order Number of Execution | Type of Rule

An example can be:

AA | 50 | Global Page Load

The above would tell anyone, they are looking at an Adobe Analytics rule set to execute at default order number of 50 and is a global page load rule.

There might be others who might have different namings that might work for them too.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @AEPAA 

I am assuming you are talking about Data Collection Tags (adobe launch) rules naming here.

There is no one size fits all but I use something similar to the below.

Solution Type | Order Number of Execution | Type of Rule

An example can be:

AA | 50 | Global Page Load

The above would tell anyone, they are looking at an Adobe Analytics rule set to execute at default order number of 50 and is a global page load rule.

There might be others who might have different namings that might work for them too.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Community Advisor

I agree with @abhinavbalooni, finding a naming convention that works for you is the important part..

I like to use a shortform designation about what type of rule is being used (eg "WL" for Window Loaded, "DR" for DOM Ready, "CC" for Custom Code, etc), follow in brackets by the Order used by my trigger (eg. "(050)"), then I have a short description of what the rule does, or on what action it fires, then I follow that with another bracketed list of what tracking or code base is being triggered on the rule (eg "(AA)" for Adobe Analytics, "(FB)" for Facebook Pixel, etc - for rules that fire multiple items, these values are comma separated like "(AA,FB)").

This way I can see at a glance the trigger type, the order the rules should fire within the same context, what the rule is doing and what the expected outcome of the rule is.

Something like:

DR (050) - Fundamental Page Tracking (AA,FB)

or

CC (050) - Custom Event Listener - siteEventX (AA)

The best naming convention is something that works for you, not what works for us... though some of our ideas may help you decide what is important and help you to create your own naming structure.

Whatever route you go, the naming convention should be so easy to understand for folks inside of your company that it requires little to no explanation.   If you need a decoder, or if the rule names are so long they don't fully show in the UI, then you will be tied to having to explain it over and over and having to dig around.

My 2/5's of a nickel is to make them about the business reason for the rule, not the destination of the data.  Global page load, signup form confirmation, etc.  Not evar1,2,3,, etc. 

Community Advisor

Two more considerations to formalize your naming convention.

1. there are not only rules in Adobe Launch but also data elements, events, conditions, and actions where you may want to have some kind of naming convention for all of them.
  2. make the naming convention easy to search for. There is a search functionality in Adobe Launch but it can only search into details configuration but only up to name. A search-friendly naming convention will be helpful if your library grows huge.

Administrator

@AEPAA Did you find the suggested solutions helpful? It would be great if you can  mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, share it with wider audience in the community.