Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Dynamically managing Adobe Analytics tags using Adobe Target for native apps

Level 2

Hi, I'm interested in using a tag management solution for Adobe Analytics, and Target looks like a good option, at least for web. However, I'm working with mobile native apps.

I can't find any detailed documentation on how to dynamically manage tags for native apps. What I'm looking for specifically is how the data in the app (perhaps in the form of a data layer) is exposed from the app code to Target. For example, I want to remotely configure track actions to fire on the pages I'm interested in, with added context data surfaced by the app. If it's a web page this seems to be possible by accessing data objects contained on the page, and then the Target UI allows nice configuration of rules, events, etc.

The documentation I've found so far (Add Adobe Analytics) implies that even if I implement the Experience Cloud SDK, Target and Analytics, the track states and actions still need to be hard coded in the app code. There doesn't seem to be any mention of surfacing a data layer so that track states and actions can be remotely, dynamically managed without code changes.

Is it possible to achieve what I'm asking using Target and Analytics on native apps?

Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi david71830963​,

Your understanding is correct, currently that is how web tags work for Analytics and Target but we do not have exact similar functionality for native mobile implementations. You can dynamically configure Analytics and Target extensions but mobile events are not configurable through Launch extensions. trackActions and trackStates for those native mobile events would still have to be implemented in application code.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Himanshu

Mobile AEP SDK Engineering

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi david71830963​,

Your understanding is correct, currently that is how web tags work for Analytics and Target but we do not have exact similar functionality for native mobile implementations. You can dynamically configure Analytics and Target extensions but mobile events are not configurable through Launch extensions. trackActions and trackStates for those native mobile events would still have to be implemented in application code.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Himanshu

Level 2

Hi himanshup60426420,

I just realised that I kept referring to Adobe Target, when I meant Launch! It sounds like you've figured that out But could you please just confirm if the conclusion is the same?

Thanks.

Employee

Hi david71830963​,

Yes, based on the use case I understood, conclusion still applies the same. Yet to make sure if I got your use case understood correctly, you are looking to configure rules in Launch to dynamically identify app pages you are interested in and automatically execute trackState API with additional context data from that page without having to manually implement trackState on those pages in your application, correct? If that is the exact use case then the answer above applies.

Having said that, mobile Launch properties do support rules and data elements to support some use cases like identifying launch, trackState/trackAction API calls (already implemented in application) and assign specific actions to it like executing postbacks/updating user profile, etc. Data elements like OS/Device/App Lifecycle/AEP SDK Events are also exposed which could be used to define conditions for rules. Here's documentation around AEP SDK rules engine in case you need further information on this.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Himanshu

Level 2

Hi @himanshup604264 @david71830963 

Have you found a solution for this use-case?