Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEP Millisecond data process capability?

Level 3

For several years now, I've been concerned about Adobe Analytics' processing limitation, where the platform was only built to set 'data collection time stamps' at a second level and not at a millisecond level.  Meaning, if you want to set timestamps at the millisecond level, the platform was not physically able to support it.  I've seen several time issue in my AA reports and analyses that showcases this issue which results in 'noise' and 'inaccuracy' within the AA dataset.   

My question is, If I migrate my Adobe Analytics implementation over to the WebSDK and go directly from the Client Browser to AEP, will AEP set a data collection timestamp that supports milliseconds?  Or is millisecond data processing not available with AEP?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hey all - I was able to confirm this myself. 

Using the AEP Query tool, I was able to run a query to look at the 'timestamp' field.  At first glance, it looked like the Timestamp was formatted as '01/11/2024, 1:51 PM' out of the box.  But after a little tinkering, I discovered if you request a specific format in your SQL query the raw data shows this level of transparency - '2024-01-11 13:51:44.625' thus answering my question about millisecond data (TO_CHAR(timestamp, 'YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MI:SS.MS AM') AS formatted_timestamp)

Not sure why the SQL Query tool is applying formatting, as it seems to add confusion.  But none the less, I have my answer.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hey all - I was able to confirm this myself. 

Using the AEP Query tool, I was able to run a query to look at the 'timestamp' field.  At first glance, it looked like the Timestamp was formatted as '01/11/2024, 1:51 PM' out of the box.  But after a little tinkering, I discovered if you request a specific format in your SQL query the raw data shows this level of transparency - '2024-01-11 13:51:44.625' thus answering my question about millisecond data (TO_CHAR(timestamp, 'YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MI:SS.MS AM') AS formatted_timestamp)

Not sure why the SQL Query tool is applying formatting, as it seems to add confusion.  But none the less, I have my answer.