Expand my Community achievements bar.

Using IParsys - Overriding the parent inherited content at child level ?

Level 4

Hi

Can you please look at the answers posted and let us know if this worked for you or not.

If you have devised another way to resolve the issue, please post it in the community for communities benefit.

Thanks and Regards

Kautuk Sahni

6 Replies

Level 4

I do not think this is possible in AEM, Once you inherit from a parent, the component in the child page cannot be re-ordered. If you want to re-order component in a child page, perhaps you should not inherit from parent.

Employee Advisor

This can not be done with iParsys. One solution which comes to my mind is to make your parent page as a blueprint template and then you can create child pages as live copy of that blueprint page by using "New :Live Copy" menu item in the site admin console. Using this approach you will be able to locally override the content in your child and reorder them. And the blueprint page can have all the content which has to be inherited. Any changes in the master can be easily rolled out to the children using the roll out action. 

For more information see MSM documentation. Generally this feature is used for managing multiple sites with many web pages but there is no constraint in using this feature for one master page with multiple live copies. 

Level 4

Thank you for your quick turnaround.

We are looking for an approach, where we will add a component at parent level and it should inherit to child level( which is happening using iparsys). And at child level, it should allow us to change/override the value inherited from parent.

Like for example, i have a component with 2 tabs at parent level inherited using iparsys to child level, at child level i should able to add one more tab to the same component. 

Administrator

kunal23 wrote...

This can not be done with iParsys. One solution which comes to my mind is to make your parent page as a blueprint template and then you can create child pages as live copy of that blueprint page by using "New :Live Copy" menu item in the site admin console. Using this approach you will be able to locally override the content in your child and reorder them. And the blueprint page can have all the content which has to be inherited. Any changes in the master can be easily rolled out to the children using the roll out action. 

For more information see MSM documentation. Generally this feature is used for managing multiple sites with many web pages but there is no constraint in using this feature for one master page with multiple live copies. 

Nice workaround.

Kautuk Sahni