Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events
SOLVED

Transforming nt:resource into oak:Resource

Level 2

Hi all,

What is the rationale behind Adobe's decision to switch the resource type of nodes in the immutable section of the repository from nt:resource to oak:Resource during the deployment process? And what benefits does this approach offer?

Cheers,

Rustam

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

@RustamMu 

I see this change improves the performance like:

• The oak:Resource node type is optimized for storing and retrieving binary data, making it more efficient for handling immutable content like images, videos, and other static assets, this improves performance.
  • By separating mutable and immutable content into distinct packages, Adobe can optimize the delivery of immutable assets through a content delivery network (CDN) or other caching mechanisms, improving performance and reducing load on the AEM instances

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 6

@RustamMu 

I see this change improves the performance like:

• The oak:Resource node type is optimized for storing and retrieving binary data, making it more efficient for handling immutable content like images, videos, and other static assets, this improves performance.
  • By separating mutable and immutable content into distinct packages, Adobe can optimize the delivery of immutable assets through a content delivery network (CDN) or other caching mechanisms, improving performance and reducing load on the AEM instances

Community Advisor

Adobe's decision to switch the resource type of nodes in the immutable section of the repository from nt:resource to oak:Resource during the deployment process in AEM as a Cloud Service (AEMaaCS) is driven by several key considerations:

1. Immutable Infrastructure: AEMaaCS leverages immutable infrastructure principles to enhance stability, reliability, and security. Using oak:Resource aligns with these principles by ensuring that the content structure is optimized for the cloud environment.

2. Performance Optimization: The oak:Resource type is optimized for use with the Oak repository, which underpins AEM. This optimization includes better indexing, storage efficiency, and query performance, which are critical in a cloud service environment where performance and scalability are paramount.

3. Cloud-native Features: AEMaaCS is designed to fully utilize cloud-native features and services. The oak:Resource type provides better integration and compatibility with these features, such as dynamic scaling, automated updates, and managed services provided by Adobe.

4. Consistency and Compatibility: Ensuring that the resource types used in the repository are consistent and compatible with the underlying Oak repository system helps avoid potential issues related to data consistency, replication, and backup processes in the cloud environment.

Benefits of Using oak:Resource over nt:resource

1. Improved Indexing and Query Performance: The oak:Resource type is better indexed and can handle queries more efficiently, leading to faster content retrieval and improved overall performance of the AEM instance.

2. Enhanced Storage Efficiency: oak:Resource is optimized for storage, reducing the amount of space required to store content and making the storage operations more efficient. This is particularly beneficial in a cloud environment where storage costs and efficiency are crucial.

3. Better Integration with Oak: Since Oak is the underlying repository for AEM, using oak:Resource ensures better integration and utilization of Oak's features and capabilities, leading to a more robust and efficient content repository.

4. Scalability and Flexibility: The use of oak:Resource supports the scalability and flexibility required in a cloud service. It allows AEMaaCS to handle large volumes of content and user requests more effectively, adapting to varying workloads seamlessly.

5. Simplified Maintenance and Upgrades: With oak:Resource, the repository structure is more aligned with the latest best practices and standards, making maintenance and upgrades simpler and less prone to issues. This is particularly important in a cloud service where updates and maintenance are frequent and need to be performed with minimal disruption.

By switching to oak:Resource, Adobe ensures that AEMaaCS can leverage the full potential of cloud-native features, providing a more performant, scalable, and reliable content management solution.

Administrator

@RustamMu Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

Hi @gkalyan , @BrianKasingli !

Sorry for my late response, I was away from keyboard for some time and thanks a lot for your answers, both are very informative. Could you please provide a link to the documentation of oak:Resource, where you got this information from? I am having hard times trying to find something. 

@kautuk_sahni Could you please instruct me on how to properly mark an answer as correct? I was under assumption that there is no such feature in a Discussions section.

Administrator

@RustamMu You should be able to do it now. Please check. 

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

@kautuk_sahni thanks for moving the thread to the Questions session.

@BrianKasingli I've marked first answer as correct, even though yours is more detailed. I really appreciate your help, but I can't mark both answers as correct.