Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Strategy for upgrading project that uses some classes from com.adobe.cq.social.blog

Level 2

Hi,

We are attempting to move a site that uses some interfaces from the com.adobe.cq.social.blog from AEM 6.0 to 6.2 I know that cq social stuff has been removed.  We only use the blog api stuff around pages in our project:

com.adobe.cq.social.blog.Blog
com.adobe.cq.social.blog.BlogManager
com.adobe.cq.social.blog.BlogEntry
com.adobe.cq.social.blog.BlogEntryFilter

So far I tried incl..uding the social dependency in my pom file like the below and the project does compile however it is not able to start the bundle in AEM imported package cannot be resolved error in sling console: com.adobe.cq.social.blog,version=[1.0,2) -- Cannot be resolved.

<dependency>
                <groupId>com.adobe.cq.social</groupId>
                <artifactId>cq-social-blog</artifactId>
                <version>1.0.15</version>
</dependency>

Has anyone had any luck getting this to work? or any ideas on how to proceed?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

social-blog does (did) create ugc in that the blog entries themselves and the comments on the entries are ugc. It is not possible to get social-blog to work on 6.2 since it uses "old style" replicated ugc and 6.2 and beyond only supports SRP style UGC. IIRC 6.1 was the last version to support social-blog. The recommendation is to refactor the application to either use social-journal which is publish-side blogging, or implement blogging on the author node using normal AEM page authoring.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Employee

have tried to use the uber-jar as dependency?

Level 2

Yes, I am including the uberjar it does not contain any of the com.adobe.cq.social stuff.

Level 9

The AEM 6.0 version of the blog feature no longer exists.  It was an authoring activity that was similar to authoring other site content where it was authored and then published.

The AEM 6.1 and later versions of the blog feature support authoring in the publish environment and is built on SCF.

Further, a storage resource provider (SRP) handles user generated content (UGC) as of AEM 6.1, which the old blog components do not support.  There is an open source tool to help migrate UGC.

You could look at the Community Component guide for an example of including the AEM 6.2 blog components on a page, but you'd also need to setup an SRP.

Hope this gives you a place to start.

- JK

PS:  It is not recommended to include individual jars.  See Using Maven for Communities.

Level 2

Thanks JK, we don't have any UGC so that is ok, but if we would like to continue using the current code base are there any recommendations? Can we install the com.adobe.cq.social.blog jar file directly or will there be other gotchas?

Level 9

Dterner wrote...

Thanks JK, we don't have any UGC so that is ok, but if we would like to continue using the current code base are there any recommendations? Can we install the com.adobe.cq.social.blog jar file directly or will there be other gotchas?

Honestly, I don't know. 

Perhaps a very specific question could be asked through a support ticket.  You would want to be specific as to what features of the author-side blog you use, and that you don't use.

- JK

Correct answer by
Employee

social-blog does (did) create ugc in that the blog entries themselves and the comments on the entries are ugc. It is not possible to get social-blog to work on 6.2 since it uses "old style" replicated ugc and 6.2 and beyond only supports SRP style UGC. IIRC 6.1 was the last version to support social-blog. The recommendation is to refactor the application to either use social-journal which is publish-side blogging, or implement blogging on the author node using normal AEM page authoring.

Level 2

Were you able to use the existing code base by using any other API's ?

If yes, please let me know as I am trying to figure out a way to retain the existing functionality without moving to journals.

Thanks in advance.