Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events
SOLVED

Sling Servlet Context Listener

Level 2

Hi All,

We are trying to implement the functionality similar to provided by javax.servlet.ServletContextListener.

We need to instantiate the object at the moment of context initialization and then access it from servlets

Could somebody help to understand what is the proper way to do that with Sling Servlets?

Thanks,

Pavel

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

I have never used javax.servlet.ServletContextListener approach, so I can't really suggest around that.

But I have used the static osgi service where I set the value and used it later.

Arun Patidar

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

Can you explain the use case here, so we can check It can also be implemented other way or sling/osgi/jcr provide anything to fulfill your use case?

Arun Patidar

Level 2

The usecase is very general: we need to implement a kind of singleton - an object that collects the information generated during servlet execution and allows to retrieve this information from another servlet.

We have custom library supporting this functionality in web container environment, so trying to reuse as much as possible for Sling/AEM deployment scenario.

The question appears because of uncertainity of the way of servlet context accessing in order to initialize the "singleton", similar to javax.servlet.ServletContextListener approach.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

I have never used javax.servlet.ServletContextListener approach, so I can't really suggest around that.

But I have used the static osgi service where I set the value and used it later.

Arun Patidar

Employee Advisor

Servlets are represented as components/services in the OSGI world, and these entities have a clearly defined livecycle.

Your servlet can implement also another service interface, and then the doGet() method could populate data in the service (this service is a singleton!) and you can retrieve this information via the InformationService interface.

@component
public class MyServlet implements SlingSafeMethodsServlet, InformationService {
[...]

Map<String,Object> store;

public void PoJo getInforamation() {
  // collect information from the store
}
public void doGet(...) {
 // implementation
 // and put some data into the store
}