Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Screen Reader Accessible Document of Record PDF

Level 4

Hello,

We have a requirement for the document of record to be ADA compliant and screen reader accessible.

Currently, we are generating document of records with the OutputService API in AEM. In the PDFOutputOptions object, setTaggedPDF is set to true to generate accessibility tags in the PDF. When using a screen reader on the resulting PDF, we find that the field values and names are often repeated. Radio buttons are not read in order and does not state which option is checked. 

This results in having to manually remediate the document of record to resolve accessibility issues. Is there a way to generate document of records that are ADA complaint without having to manipulate the tag tree?

Thank you

3 Replies

Employee

It sounds as if these DoRs are based on XDPs from AEM Forms Designer. If so, did you try to explicitly set Accessibility information such as Tool Tip and Screen Reader Precendence and Custom Text? 

The order of fields can also be checked in the Tab Order and generally in the object tree on the left side.

Level 4

Hi @Kosta_Prokopiu1, thank you for your help.

I modified the XDP file and was able to resolve the read order and repeating field name issue in the DoR. However, I found that the NVDA screen reader is still not reading whether a radio button or checkbox is checked/unchecked. Is there an additional setting in the XDP that needs to be added to the radio buttons/checkboxes?

Employee

glad that it helped.

are you aware of these instructions Betreff: Screen Reader Accessible Document of Record PDF section "Make radio buttons accessible" ?