Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

Overlay Hierarchy

Level 2

Hello All,

I am working on an AEM 6.1 project which requires me to add an additional input field (recipients field) to the "Start Workflow" dialog in the Page Editor (Touch UI) as shown below.

As such, I have created an overlay of the startworkflow.jsp file which defines this dialog box. 

The overlay is functional, however, I was wondering if it is possible to move the "cq/gui/components/authoring/workflow/startworkflow/startworkflow.jsp" node structure into the "/apps/my-project" folder and still have the overlay work. My current overlay implementation is okay in my local environment, but in the production environment, I can only make edits/push inside the "/apps/my-project" folder. As a note, the additional dialog field should only appear when starting a workflow on a page under "/content/my-project", so being unable to display this extra field outside of the "my-project" hierarchy is not an issue.

With this in mind, is an overlay approach still feasible? If not, are there any other recommended approaches to override/extend this dialog? 

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi All,

I ended up addressing this issue by editing the "Resource Search Path" in the "Apache Sling Resource Resolver Factory" configuration from the OSGi configuration manager. I added a search path ("/apps/my-project") between the default search paths "/apps" and "/libs". As such, I was able to define my overlay in "/apps/my-project" and have the Resource Resolver find it before going to the default component definition in "/libs". 

Thanks,

Natalie 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi,

I don't think that this is possible. If you want to overlay scripts, you need to mirror the structure of /libs within /apps. Having overlays in project specific folders is not possible (otherwise there would be the question what the resolution order of these folders would be, in case you have multiple potential overlays).

Limiting your reach as a developer to /apps/my-project isn't bad per se, but it just does not allow you to create product overlays. If you really need to create that change and there's no other chance than to overlay it, ask the people which are responsible for this restriction.

Kind regards,
Jörg

Level 2

Thank you for your answer, Jörg. Much appreciated. 

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi All,

I ended up addressing this issue by editing the "Resource Search Path" in the "Apache Sling Resource Resolver Factory" configuration from the OSGi configuration manager. I added a search path ("/apps/my-project") between the default search paths "/apps" and "/libs". As such, I was able to define my overlay in "/apps/my-project" and have the Resource Resolver find it before going to the default component definition in "/libs". 

Thanks,

Natalie 

Level 10

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for sharing this solution to the community and hope your issue gets solved.

Please mark this thread as solved from your end.

~Ratna.