Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events
SOLVED

Issue with order of disinherited component in Live Copy

Level 4

Hi,

I have a component - component A that has been rolled out from Lang Master into Live Copy along with other components. The component A is the last component in the Language Master(bottom of the page).

The inheritance of this component  A in live copy is broken to modify it.

Now, if I update my Lang Master and rollout, I see the comp A somewhere in the mid of the Live Copy (the broken inheritance one) and another occurrence of component A in the end of the Live copy page (the inherited one which just got rolled out).

This has caused placement issue in the live copy as the position should ideally be in the bottom. one above the other but one comp is in the mid of the page and other one is at the bottom.

Once I re-inherited the broken inheritance comp and then rolled out the lang master again, I could see only one component in the bottom.

Is it expected for the order of the component to change like this ? from last position in LM to somewhere on top in Live Copy when the inheritance of it is broken?

Any idea/thoughts here?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

That's right. AEM does not store each and every page edit in a way to allow for comparison. It does track page edits (who edited a page at what time) but not in-depth content level comparison is only possible between different versions or between a version and the current state of the page.

Versions are created automatically on publication. In addition, versions can be created manually by content authors. It would also be possible to create versions based on other events by implementing a custom workflow.

However, if you evaluate to create versions more often you might want to double check on the version cleanup maintenance task to ensure your repository does not grow extensively.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @SHIBANI06 
I don't think so this is a expected behaviour. You should not be seeing 2 components in the live copy.

Could you please try in vanilla instance with wknd/weretail project if the behaviour is same or different?

Arun Patidar

Level 4

Hi @arunpatidar , yes this is due to some authoring mistake the content authors would have done , by deleting or copying the components directly on to Live Copy which will change the node names backend. When rolled out -> comp B (same comp as comp A with different content) authored is being replaced with the comp A from LM due to nodes match in crxde, also another occurrence is the component A itself.

Employee Advisor

This does certainly explain the behavior.

Good job to identify the issue!

In general, the described behavior is not expected and the position of components should not be altered by roll outs.

Level 4

Hi @arunpatidar  I also wanted to know if there is any other way to track the content updates made to AEM pages? I'm aware of the timeline feature and also the audit log search but it is not serving the purpose.

Employee Advisor

What exact functionality are you missing from the timeline feature? What is your requirement here?

Please provide additional details that will allow us to support with your query.

Level 4

Hi @markus_bulla_adobe 

When I select a page and click on timeline feature, only if a version is created it shows options to view the difference between current and the version.

Otherwise, I can only see page edited on so and so date by the author but when i click on it , there is no option to view difference.

Even though I have clicked on the first one - i dont see option to view what was edited

SHIBANI06_0-1700148938656.png

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

That's right. AEM does not store each and every page edit in a way to allow for comparison. It does track page edits (who edited a page at what time) but not in-depth content level comparison is only possible between different versions or between a version and the current state of the page.

Versions are created automatically on publication. In addition, versions can be created manually by content authors. It would also be possible to create versions based on other events by implementing a custom workflow.

However, if you evaluate to create versions more often you might want to double check on the version cleanup maintenance task to ensure your repository does not grow extensively.

Hope this helps!