Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

How to config sling servlet to sepcific route?

Level 2

Hi, guys,

So let's say, I have two URLs 1: a/b/xx.yy.dd  2: c/d/xx.yy.dd

these two URLs have different prefixes, but the same selectors and extensions.

So I wonder is there any way we can handle two URLs by different servlet?

I am using the resourceType base servlet right now, and it's configured to cq:page, so basically, they are using the same servlet right now.

I tried to use prefix annotation, but it does not exist on my version.

I would appreciate any experts could provide me with some ideas, I'm new to AEM, so thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @NickWe 

1. Resource Type-based Servlet: By default, AEM uses the resource type (cq:Page) to determine which servlet to use. If both URLs have the same resource type, they will be handled by the same servlet. To handle them differently, you can assign different resource types to the pages or components associated with the URLs. Then, create separate servlets for each resource type and configure them accordingly.

2. Resource Super Type-based Servlet: If the pages or components associated with the URLs have the same resource type but different resource super types, you can create separate servlets for each resource super type and configure them accordingly.

3. Resource Path-based Servlet: If the URLs have different prefixes, you can create a servlet that handles requests based on the resource path. In this case, you would need to configure the servlet to handle requests for specific paths or patterns. For example, you can configure the servlet to handle requests for paths starting with "/a/b/" differently from paths starting with "/c/d/".
    https://aem-development.com/aem/servlets/

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @NickWe ,

handling different URLs with different servlets based on their prefixes can be achieved through various methods. Since you mentioned that the prefix annotation doesn't exist in your version, here are a few alternative approaches you can consider:

1. Resource Mapping: You can use resource mapping to map different URLs to different servlets based on their prefixes. This involves configuring the Apache Sling Resource Resolver to map URLs to specific servlets based on predefined rules. This approach allows you to define custom mappings for different URL patterns.

2. Servlet Filters: Implement a servlet filter that intercepts requests before they reach the servlet and based on the URL prefix, forwards the request to the appropriate servlet. This allows you to customize the handling of requests based on various criteria, including URL patterns.

3. Request Parsing in Servlet: Within your servlet, you can parse the request URL and based on the prefix, invoke different logic or forward the request to another servlet using request dispatching. This approach gives you full control over request handling within your servlet code.

4. Custom Sling Servlet Resolver: Implement a custom servlet resolver that selects the appropriate servlet based on the URL prefix. This involves extending or customizing the default Sling servlet resolver to include logic for selecting servlets based on specific URL patterns.

Additionally, make sure to consider the impact on performance, maintainability, and scalability when implementing any solution

-Sravan

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @NickWe 

1. Resource Type-based Servlet: By default, AEM uses the resource type (cq:Page) to determine which servlet to use. If both URLs have the same resource type, they will be handled by the same servlet. To handle them differently, you can assign different resource types to the pages or components associated with the URLs. Then, create separate servlets for each resource type and configure them accordingly.

2. Resource Super Type-based Servlet: If the pages or components associated with the URLs have the same resource type but different resource super types, you can create separate servlets for each resource super type and configure them accordingly.

3. Resource Path-based Servlet: If the URLs have different prefixes, you can create a servlet that handles requests based on the resource path. In this case, you would need to configure the servlet to handle requests for specific paths or patterns. For example, you can configure the servlet to handle requests for paths starting with "/a/b/" differently from paths starting with "/c/d/".
    https://aem-development.com/aem/servlets/

Community Advisor

@NickWe , Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community

Community Advisor

@NickWe I think @Raja_Reddy has some valid points. Do try and let us know which solution worked for you.