Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

How do I create a non-workflow user inbox notification?

Level 1

Im trying to have a workflow process create a notification in the user inbox to link to updated pages.

According to past answers I have found that people would use an interface called InboxManager. Unfortunately upon investigating I cant really find it in uber-jar. Has it been removed? I can find it in old <AEM6.0 jars but it wouldn't be compatible i reckon. I hope someone can shed some light on this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

you can create a new node for task type in /libs/cq/inbox/extensions/itemtyperegistry/task

and define url or inboxUrl property of the node to desired page you want user to be redirected when clicked,

now you can create a task with taskType=<name of node you created above> , this task notification will be visible in Inbox and user will be redirected to your url you have defined.

for example if node "damPage" is defined in /libs/cq/inbox/extensions/itemtyperegistry/task with inboxUrl or url set to /asset.html/content/dam , then a new task will appear in Notification inbox as link to Assets page.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

If you want to send messages to a non-workflow user - i would look at creating a custom workflow step that send email messages. This way, you can construct the message with Java code and send the message to a user. See this article:

Scott's Digital Community: Creating custom AEM workflow steps that send email messages

Level 1

Thanks for the response!

I have actually already created a workflow process that sends the emails but I also want the user to have a notification in site. Is there any way to do that using the OOTB notifications panel?

Correct answer by
Employee

you can create a new node for task type in /libs/cq/inbox/extensions/itemtyperegistry/task

and define url or inboxUrl property of the node to desired page you want user to be redirected when clicked,

now you can create a task with taskType=<name of node you created above> , this task notification will be visible in Inbox and user will be redirected to your url you have defined.

for example if node "damPage" is defined in /libs/cq/inbox/extensions/itemtyperegistry/task with inboxUrl or url set to /asset.html/content/dam , then a new task will appear in Notification inbox as link to Assets page.