Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Help- Asset Expiry AEM-6.1 Email notification and Inbox notification

Level 10

I have referred https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/author/assets/managing-assets-touch-ui/drm.html#Asset and i am trying hard to figure out the options that is made available in 6.1 with the asset expiry

1. I have  Adobe CQ DAM Expiry Notification configured  with send email check-box checked per the documentation, but i receive no email when the asset expires.     Am i missing a configuration here?

2. If step 1 succeeds, who is the intended mail recipient? Am i supposed to have an additional configuration to set the intended mail recipients?

3. I do not see any notifications pushed to my inbox as per the documentation before the asset expires.

I only see a flag with the text "Asset has expired" when i select the asset and hit the "Timeline", in the touch based UI.

4. Is there a feasibility to have the asset deactivate if it expires, is this feature available OOTB?

Kindly assist

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

" Prior notification in seconds in the configuration when set to say 5 seconds,

a. does not trigger a INBOX notification 5 seconds BEFORE expiry eg.( per the documentation "Following assets are about to expire"), i am not sure if i am missing something. I see in the documentation that i should receive a message to my inbox before expiry"

If you are seeing behaviour different from the documentation - you very well may have encountered a bug. Reason why community cannot help here is its suppose to work - but it's not. 

I would recommend opening a ticket here so the support team can get Eng to fix this. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/marketing-cloud/contact-support.html

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 10

I looked over the documentation - i agree - this is a bit vague. It does not tell you whom the email is sent. 

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/author/assets/managing-assets-touch-ui/drm.html#Asset

I assume no other configuration is required - if there is - there is a doc bug.

The fact that no email is sent may be a product bug. 

I will investigate this and follow up here. 

Level 10

Thank you Scott, will research more and keep you posted if I find something

Would be grateful if you could also assist me with the inbox notifications as well as the query over the assets getting deactivated once they expire 

Again ,thank you very much

Level 10

It is the  Adobe CQ DAM Expiry Notification in 6.1 that does some background processing ,and in the logs at 00 hrs. com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.ExpiryNotificationJobImpl tries to deactivate the assets and it DID and  i see a notification at 00 hrs that the "asset expired" that is after the asset has expired. Wrt Notification, i also see a notification sent to the admin alone, at 00 hrs,

I am not sure if this is because an admin set the expires field for the asset? I will debug further

Pending items:

1. check why i did not receive any notification before the asset expired .

2. check if the email config is not set properly on the environment meanwhile.

3. Intended recipient for the asset expiry notification Will update

Level 10

When you click send email from an admin account - is the admin getting an email notification for an expired asset? I also sent this to the doc team - they need to make this clearer in the product docs.

Level 10

Hey Scott,

Thanks for all the help

I believe i need to have the email configured for 6.1 , but can u please help me with the questions and doc team to include #2 as you mentioned:

1. do we receive any notification before the asset expired . I never received any before the asset expires.

2.Who is the Intended recipient for the asset expiry notification both INBOX notification before and after the asset expires and EMAIL.

3. Is it possible to be notified 3 months prior to expiration, and again at 1 month prior to expiration via email or the INBOX notification? If yes, is there any configuration?.

Employee

Hi, 

You need to configure the mail service for AEM first . It is generally done at platform level before starting the AEM server , and specific mention in Assets docs is not required .

You need to configure the SMTP server port and url as well as sender mails id . You can find the detailed documentation here [0] .

Regarding the intended recipients of email and notification here is the behavior for 6.1 

• Prior notification is sent to both asset creator as well as system admin before asset expiration . The notification is triggered by job that can be configured.
  • Notifications are also sent on asset expiry ..
  • Email notification is sent to creator of asset  .
  • The configuration to sent prior  email can be done for one schedule only right now

The documentation will be updated as early as possible as per documentation team .

[0] : https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-6-1/administering/notification.html

Level 10

dityagi@adobe.com wrote...

Hi, 

You need to configure the mail service for AEM first . It is generally done at platform level before starting the AEM server , and specific mention in Assets docs is not required .

You need to configure the SMTP server port and url as well as sender mails id . You can find the detailed documentation here [0] .

Regarding the intended recipients of email and notification here is the behavior for 6.1 

• Prior notification is sent to both asset creator as well as system admin before asset expiration . The notification is triggered by job that can be configured.
  • Notifications are also sent on asset expiry ..
  • Email notification is sent to creator of asset  .
  • The configuration to sent prior  email can be done for one schedule only right now

The documentation will be updated as early as possible as per documentation team .

[0] : https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-6-1/administering/notification.html

Nevermind the email configuration,  I have not requested for any specific mention in Assets docs. But yes wrt the rest of the points, do appreciate the clarifications provided and thank you for the clarification

Here are some questions, please provide some inputs:
1. If the asset folder that the asset is contained ,is assigned to a user(Username:Test) or a user is assigned a review task on the folder - i see the INBOX notification coming through to the user (Username:TestONLY ON expiry and NOT before asset expiry. 

a) Is it supposed to send an INBOX notification or an EMAIL notification BEFORE  asset expiry based on the seconds keyed in, in the configuration?

b) I did try using the config option, "Prior notification in seconds Number of seconds before which a notification should be sent BEFORE an asset expires (prior_notification_seconds)" but i do not see any INBOX notification prior to expiry based on the value set in the field for the configuration. 

c)  Is the notification sent to the asset reviewer(username:test) above AND  the asset creator as you mention ?  I Believe the asset creator does not receive a notification but it is the user who is assigned a review task for the asset folder that the asset is contained within

2. Can you please elaborate  "The configuration to sent prior  email can be done for one schedule only right now"

3.   Is it possible to trigger any workflow on asset expiry?     Please let me know

Employee

Hi , 

AFAIK the asset creator is the one who upload the assets in the system .

The prior expiry notification is based upon the cron job scheduler that can be configured in the configuration manager :: ADOBE CQ DAM EXPIRY NOTIFICATION . The scheduler by default is periodic scheduler which runs once in 24 hrs and send the prior notifications for the assets upon identifying the assets that are going to expired with in the set time range .

How ever the job be configured to be periodic and interval time can be given to run the job . The prior notification will be sent once the job is completed .

Triggering workflow upon asset expiry can be done as a customization  .

Level 10

Hi , 

The prior expiry notification is based upon the cron job scheduler that can be configured in the configuration manager :: ADOBE CQ DAM EXPIRY NOTIFICATION . The scheduler by default is periodic scheduler which runs once in 24 hrs and send the prior notifications for the assets upon identifying the assets that are going to expired with in the set time range .

How ever the job be configured to be periodic and interval time can be given to run the job . The prior notification will be sent once the job is completed .

Thank you for quick response, regarding notification sent to the asset creator AND NOT  the asset reviewer.

I guess it would be clear if i rephrase the other points above 

1. I did set the configuration ADOBE CQ DAM EXPIRY NOTIFICATION with scheduler running every 15 minutes, which works great, but the field Prior notification in seconds in the configuration when set to say 5 seconds,

a. does not trigger a INBOX notification 5 seconds BEFORE expiry eg.( per the documentation "Following assets are about to expire"), i am not sure if i am missing something. I see in the documentation that i should receive a message to my inbox before expiry but i receive only one, once the asset expires ! "Following Assets are expired: /content/dam/Desert.jpg "

I have tried with setting the expiry field for other assets at a later point in time with scheduler running every 15 mins,  and i received no notification, 5 seconds before expiry is this an email notification or INBOX notification that we speak of?   

b. If it says " Prior notification in seconds" should i not be receiving notification BEFORE expiry based on the field name?Do you say "the prior notification will be sent once the job is completed ."  and not BEFORE COMPLETION? please confirm

2. I see the below error when it tries to send an email. Although workflow EMAIL notifications and task notifications work fine, and email configuration is in place?Any other configuration that i am missing for DAM expiry?

com.day.cq.mailer.MailingException: org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : 
    at com.day.cq.mailer.impl.DefaultMailService.send(DefaultMailService.java:291)
    at com.day.cq.mailer.impl.DefaultMailService.send(DefaultMailService.java:45)
    at com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.MailHelper.sendMail(MailHelper.java:91)
    at com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.ExpiryNotificationJobImpl$Notification.sendExpiryEmailNotification(ExpiryNotificationJobImpl.java:609)
    at com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.ExpiryNotificationJobImpl.execute(ExpiryNotificationJobImpl.java:158)
    at org.apache.sling.commons.scheduler.impl.QuartzJobExecutor.execute(QuartzJobExecutor.java:103)
    at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:202)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : 
    at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1242)
    at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.send(Email.java:1267)
    at com.day.cq.mailer.impl.DefaultMailService.send(DefaultMailService.java:289)
    ... 9 common frames omitted
Caused by: javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: failed to connect, no password specified?
    at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:329)
    at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:176)
    at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:125)
    at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:253)
    at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:124)
    at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1232)
    ... 11 common frames omitted

Level 10

NitroHazeDev wrote...

Hi , 

Thank you for quick response, regarding notification sent to the asset creator AND NOT  the asset reviewer.

I guess it would be clear if i rephrase the other points above 

1. I did set the configuration ADOBE CQ DAM EXPIRY NOTIFICATION with scheduler running every 15 minutes, which works great, but the field Prior notification in seconds in the configuration when set to say 5 seconds,

a. does not trigger a INBOX notification 5 seconds BEFORE expiry eg.( per the documentation "Following assets are about to expire"), i am not sure if i am missing something. I see in the documentation that i should receive a message to my inbox before expiry but i receive only one, once the asset expires ! "Following Assets are expired: /content/dam/Desert.jpg "

I have tried with setting the expiry field for other assets at a later point in time with scheduler running every 15 mins,  and i received no notification, 5 seconds before expiry is this an email notification or INBOX notification that we speak of?   

b. If it says " Prior notification in seconds" should i not be receiving notification BEFORE expiry based on the field name?Do you say "the prior notification will be sent once the job is completed ."  and not BEFORE COMPLETION? please confirm

2. I see the below error when it tries to send an email. Although workflow EMAIL notifications and task notifications work fine, and email configuration is in place?Any other configuration that i am missing for DAM expiry?

com.day.cq.mailer.MailingException: org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : 
    at com.day.cq.mailer.impl.DefaultMailService.send(DefaultMailService.java:291)
    at com.day.cq.mailer.impl.DefaultMailService.send(DefaultMailService.java:45)
    at com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.MailHelper.sendMail(MailHelper.java:91)
    at com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.ExpiryNotificationJobImpl$Notification.sendExpiryEmailNotification(ExpiryNotificationJobImpl.java:609)
    at com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.ExpiryNotificationJobImpl.execute(ExpiryNotificationJobImpl.java:158)
    at org.apache.sling.commons.scheduler.impl.QuartzJobExecutor.execute(QuartzJobExecutor.java:103)
    at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:202)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : 
    at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1242)
    at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.send(Email.java:1267)
    at com.day.cq.mailer.impl.DefaultMailService.send(DefaultMailService.java:289)
    ... 9 common frames omitted
Caused by: javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: failed to connect, no password specified?
    at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:329)
    at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:176)
    at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:125)
    at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:253)
    at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:124)
    at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1232)
    ... 11 common frames omitted

Any advice?

Correct answer by
Level 10

a. does not trigger a INBOX notification 5 seconds BEFORE expiry eg.( per the documentation "Following assets are about to expire"), i am not sure if i am missing something. I see in the documentation that i should receive a message to my inbox before expiry"

If you are seeing behaviour different from the documentation - you very well may have encountered a bug. Reason why community cannot help here is its suppose to work - but it's not. 

I would recommend opening a ticket here so the support team can get Eng to fix this. 

Level 10

smacdonald2008 wrote...

Thank you very much Scott. Was curious if i was missing something.